Charvel import vs 80s Jackson dinky necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel import vs 80s Jackson dinky necks

Which necks are more comfortable to play on? I'm thinking about getting an old charvel model 2,3,4 275 375 or an old Jackson dinky what are your opinions thanks in advance.
    “On Ecstasy, Joan Rivers looks like Pamela Anderson, so imagine what Pamela Anderson looked like.”

This is obviously a preference thing and the best bet is to try to get your hands on them to see what works for you. If you're just looking for opinions, I prefer the model series necks from 1986 through 1987. IMO, the necks from this time period seem to be a tad thinner than the 88 models. I wouldn't kick an 88 out of bed though since they're still super comfortable.

Out of the 89 - 90 Charvels with the toothpaste style logo, I really like the 475 with binding and sharkies.

Jacksons vary greatly in neck profile between Dinky models and years so tough for me to comment on all Jackson Dinkys. Do you have a specific model/year you're looking at?

Comment

I was looking at 87 and 89 dinkys and do you have any experience with model 6 and 750 xl necks?
      “On Ecstasy, Joan Rivers looks like Pamela Anderson, so imagine what Pamela Anderson looked like.”

Comment

Can't go wrong with either the model 6 or 750xl. In my experience, the 750xl, 86 and 87 Model 6 necks were a little slimmer than the 88.

Comment

I found my 89 750XL pretty chunky in feel, and quite "draggy" due to the paint. I.e. thumb friction is quite high.

My 87 Model 6 has a thinner neck than my 88, plus it has the paint removed. It feels good!

Model two neck is pretty nice, good jumbo frets, fairly comfortable, but the finish is, again pretty draggy.

I prefer my Promod USA Socal above all those though. Oiled and compound radiused, y'see. The oil is the key!
          http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Working...
          X