No announcement yet.

Charvel Mockingbird ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, someone went to a lot of trouble to rig that up and try to make it look factory.

Comment

that would be a LOT of effort, and a LOT of filler ... its obviously had too much time and $$ put into it for it just to be a fraud
      what else could it be?

Comment

Still, it looks pretty cool!
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          There's a reason the neck joint is painted black... it was glued in.
          I'll bet there's a shitload of filler under that paint too.
          I'll bet you 100 guitars your wrong

I'm thinking a Jackson style joint....an inch thick and severed by the neck pickup route

Comment

Originally posted by Tim_B View Post
            that would be a LOT of effort, and a LOT of filler ... its obviously had too much time and $$ put into it for it just to be a fraud
            what else could it be?
            It's a B.C. Rich body with a Charvel bolt-on neck fitted to it. We've seen weird things like that here before.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              Still, it looks pretty cool!
              +1 remove all the lil' switches and knobs and keep a single volume and it would rock even more!
              JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
              Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Tim,

Your finishing skills are phenomenal, woodworking skills still a work in progress.

The staining/toning job on what is obviously a 1986 Charvel import Model Series bolt-on neck is very well done. White dot inlays and TM logo narrows the possibilities to either a 1986 Model 2 or 1986 Model 3 neck...both bolt-ons. The only dot board neck thru was the Model 5 which came with Mother of Pearl inlays. This rules out you having cut off the wings of the dinky and replacing them with BC wings instead. Plus the heel of the bolt-on neck is clearly visible in the back shots you added. Pretty wavy back there at the joint. A little extra time there filling and sanding would have produced a better result and given you better odds at fooling anyone that this guitar was ever made by Charvel... at any of its facilities.

PS: To the dude who bet 100 guitars this guitar build didn't require buckets of filler, as Johnstone asserted, you're gonna need a really big box to ship me and Johnstone 50 each. I'd delete that post in a heartbeat, were I you.

Mitch
                AxeD
                Mitch
                AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by modelseriesman View Post
                    Tim,

Your finishing skills are phenomenal, woodworking skills still a work in progress.
                    :think: Huh?

Comment

Huh what?

The gradient on the back of that neck looks better than most factory gradients. His finishing skills are remarkable, but that wavy gravy neck joint area leaves much to be desired.

Huh
                      Mitch
                      AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

He's asking what it is and if anybody has any idea. How would you come to the conclusion then that he did it himself? Huh? Huh. Duh.

Comment

Cynicism from experience.

Tim added photos of the back only once the integrity of the neck-thru claim was raised. One of the back might have been originally posted if he had faith it pass muster.

I'll stick with my hunch that he built it himself and did a great staining/toning/finishing job.

Mitch
                          AxeD
                          Mitch
                          AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

Originally posted by modelseriesman View Post
                            PS: To the dude who bet 100 guitars this guitar build didn't require buckets of filler, as Johnstone asserted, you're gonna need a really big box to ship me and Johnstone 50 each. I'd delete that post in a heartbeat, were I you.

Mitch
                            AxeD
                            #1-I never make bets unless I know for a fact I can't lose
                            #2-the waviness is the reflection of the paint grain reflecting whatever it is above it .
                            #3-I'm sure that TimB has a good reason for bringing this up,regardless of his abilities

Comment

has everyone forgotten 2008 when I bolted a model four neck onto a USA mockingbird body ?
                              ( yes, it's a 1986 4 with a changed locknut )

take that SEVERAL stages further, include a set neck conversion, quilt sapele veneer front and back, and a three colour tobacco burst, and ... well

and as for the filler - there ain't none

it's just woodworking skills and polish

it was done by a member here, I'm sure they'll make themselves known when they want to

anyone want to know/see any more? ;-)

Comment

Whatever / whoever built it, I think it looks cool.
                                Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X