Charvel Mockingbird ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by modelseriesman View Post
    Fine job. It's a good looking 'what if Charvel & BC had a kid'. Kudos.

Mitch
    AxeD
    Thanks...........Back in the late 70's Grover Jackson,Wayne Charvel,and Bernie Rico were just upstarts with great ideas.Wayne and Grover even built necks and bodies for BC Rich for their "Son of a Rich" ,"Phoenix",and "Nighthawk" guitars which were their entry level guitars before the NJ series started in Japan.Wayne Charvel even came back to BC Rich around 1986 and did product development for a brief period.TMK Grover is now directing the building of BCRich's USA gunslingers.These guys were friends to a degree and back in the late 70's were very small fish in the big Fender/Gibson pond just aching to make a ripple!......AND THEY DID!!

what TimB and I did was more like "What if these guys had gotten together in 1989?"

Comment

I like the project, but if I were to splurge like that I would have gone with a bound neck like a DK1.

I know, I know, you love the Model neck.

JJDK, I work in Nashville evey other week. Do you have a shop? Do you have a large backlog of work? I have projects that I haven't done because I hate shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
        JJDK, I work in Nashville evey other week. Do you have a shop? Do you have a large backlog of work? I have projects that I haven't done because I hate shipping.
        Shop-yes
        backlog-no but it depends on what you call a backlog lol

I do not want to take away from what better established members here have done or are doing.Since you are occasionally local and shipping is out of the question ,I understand your dilemma and you have been pm'd.

I'm here to learn and contribute....not to step on anyones toes.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          I like the project, but if I were to splurge like that I would have gone with a bound neck like a DK1.

Same here. It's a well-done mutt but the dots and lack of binding make it look a little cheap. Still I gotta admit I LOVE the dark tobaccoburst finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Sephiroth View Post
            Same here. It's a well-done mutt but the dots and lack of binding make it look a little cheap. Still I gotta admit I LOVE the dark tobaccoburst finish.
            We thought about that but budget came into play and then there was the whole "diamonds vs sharksfins" debate and then we realized that the dots and simplicity were the identity of the model 4 and thought keeping that was more important.Kinda like a photoshop project that came to life.

Comment

I'm certain the whole budget issue precluded the following scenario.

Start with a relatively affordable 1987 or 1988 Charvel Model 6. Cut the wings off leaving just the maple neck-through portion. Then take your Mockingbird body and cut the wings off. Marry BC wings to Charvel neck-through and you have a wild-bodied bona fide neck-through guitar with binding and fins!

Just a thought..

I think we all have these fantasy build thoughts from time to time. One of my most beloved "why the hell didn't they build a" scenarios is a Charvel neck-through with a maple board. I'm sure someone has built one somewhere.

You guys did a hell of a job. I'm particularly fond of the finishing.

Mitch
              AxeD
              Mitch
              AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post

"You are aware this means war"
                That's GREAT! I just laughed my ass off.. \m/

Comment

Start with a relatively affordable 1987 or 1988 Charvel Model 6. Cut the wings off leaving just the maple neck-through portion. Then take your Mockingbird body and cut the wings off. Marry BC wings to Charvel neck-through and you have a wild-bodied bona fide neck-through guitar with binding and fins!AxeD
                  that would've put the cost of the project up by the price of a model 6, less whatever I'd get back from hawking off the unwanted hardware. As it was, Charvel necks are pretty common, and I got mine for a chunk less than I sold the BCR neck for
                  personally, the whole binding thing has never really appealed to me, I'm more a 'get it all right and why would it need binding?' sort of a guy.
                  I don't have any close-up shots of the fretwork, but the best I can say is that after only a few hours of playing, this guitar feels like an old friend. I've been playing guitar 25 years this year, making a living at it for a while, and this is without question the best fret job I've ever played, bar none.
                  That said, sharkies would've been uber-cool, but me and my 1987 model 4 have been through too much for me to part it out, even to myself, and that meant using a 1986 neck with dots ..
                  how about this for a 'what might have been starter' though... this was my first 'is this gonna work' attempt before I bought the 1986 neck

You guys did a hell of a job. I'm particularly fond of the finishing.
                  JJDK has 20-odd years of experience of custom paint, and his 3 colour bursts are very well spoken of in BCR circles, this was no small factor in me deciding to soak up the cost of shipping from the UK to the USA and back in the project.
                  Or put another way, if I hadn't been convinced that it was going to be this good before it started, it would never have happened

thanks again for the interest and kind words, it's nice to feel vindicated by strangers!

Comment

Working...
                  X