Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD - '89 750xl - Trans Purple...Score!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - '89 750xl - Trans Purple...Score!!

I was scouring the local CList ads like I do every day, and I stumbled upon this ad below...I was about to post it in the E-Fraid section because I got a chuckle out of the poster stating that this Charvel was made in Germany. Obviously they didn't look any further than the stamp on the Schaller Floyd and decided the whole guitar was made in Germany. I go to post, and I glance back at the photo and notice the reverse sharkies....:idea: This is not your everyday Charvel. A quick run to Henrik's most useful page, and my suspicions are confirmed...This cannot be anything other than a 750xl. Fugg the E-Fraid post you idiot!

I set up the meet, and the guitar is filthy. I mean sticky, like I've never seen a guitar before. I'm thinking even if I have to refin, this is a cool guitar. I'm not gonna haggle as this was the girls dad's guitar, and she says it hasn't seen the light of day in forever. The strings were crumbling they were so brittle. Plus it's a steal. I get it home, and don't have time to screw with it, but I want to see if any of the sticky crud comes off, or if the paint is scratched really bad, I just couldn't tell it was so mucky. A spray of guitar polish and a wipe...the crap comes right off, and to my surprise, it is a trans finish. I was sure it was a solid color before I cleaned her up, awesome! I didn't take pictures of the crud on the body, I just wanted it off ASAP!! As you can see from the first pics...the frets were horrible. After the thorough going-over today...she looks like a brand new guitar. The headstock pointy is perfect, not a nick. The only real blemishes would be some buckle rash on the rear and one tiny chip that I touched up with a marker it was so small. I expected there to be some issues with the pots or the pickups, but there was not a scratch to be heard in the pots, and this thing sounds awesome as it sits. Well on it's way to being my #1 already, although it's one heavy muthafugga being mahogany and all....I just love a good score!! And this one just feels good, rescuing a gem from the abyss.

Last edited by BayRocker; 08-25-2011, 06:35 PM.
    My Charvel/Jackson Family

Contrats on the nice find. Very cool guitar.
    Just one more guitar!

Comment

damn man, that's a great find & a real looker. Congrats.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Grats! She cleaned up real nice. I would love to just play one once, I wouldn't even need to own it. I just want to see how I'd sound with a mahogany guitar.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Damn nice guitar.
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Great score! Congrats.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Very nice find man!
              Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

awesome score

Comment

Amazing ! That's the hardest finish to find too. I have 4 750XL's and have been looking for a trans-blue/purple forever. Congrats !

Comment

Love it!
                    Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

I hate you . No no kidding I hate you. I've always wanted a purple.

Comment

Nice score! Regarding the restoration, however: maybe you need to completely break down and scrub the trem?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                          Nice score! Regarding the restoration, however: maybe you need to completely break down and scrub the trem?
                          Already taken care of...There was some serious gunk in every nook and cranny of that thing. Going to replace the fine tuners they are just fugly. The lock nuts were beyond scrubbing, replaced those.
                          My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

nice to see a guitar like that see the light of day with a good owner again. its a player, and dont deserve to be neglected under a bed or in an attic somewhere.
                            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Wow! Some people's kids!

(You'd think she'd get it cleaned up just a bit!)

Great score! Next time I'm up there, can I come over and play?
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X