Body wood for a Model 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body wood for a Model 4

I have this Model 4 ...I think.. the official description in the guitar Encyclopedia says its American Basswood. But the thing weighs a lot more than my Les Paul.... feels like its lined with lead
    Did they make these with Mahogany at all?

Oh and also if it is American Basswood , would that mean its a San Dimas? Someone took the neckplate off before I got the guitar
    I am very ignorant to Charvels..sorry

Last edited by Mindstein; 08-26-2011, 01:03 PM.

It is a Model 4m. It's at least a model 4 body that may have had a maple neck added later. My M4 is heavier than my Les Paul too, but they both are no where near as heavy as my 750xl which is mahogany as well. I don't believe they ever made the M4 out of mahogany. It's not a dinky body though, it's a full strat body. Not sure if you're used to dinkies and that's why it feels so heavy. And no, it's not a San Dimas.
    Last edited by BayRocker; 08-26-2011, 01:23 PM.
    My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

You know thats probably what it is, I don't really think of dinkys as being smaller than strats, more like strats being 9/8ths a dinky. I wish I had the neck plate that originally came with it, but peopple rape the neckplates for ebay

Comment

Whatever it is, it's a sweet-ass guitar. Hard to believe it weighs anything near a Les Paul though. The ones I've had and played were very light.

Comment

Yup basswood body and weighs a ton. I miss my old 86 Model 4. Think ripped too.
          It's pronounced soops

Comment

Some Les Pauls are pretty light, especially since they started drilling weight relief holes in the bodies.

Comment

All model series bolt ons were basswood except the model 88 it was African ribbon mahogany.
              Basswood varies in weight just like any other species of wood.The last Model 2 I had weighed in at 8.9 lbs about the same as a current L.P.
              Oh and to the OP you can tell the USA's from the imports by the logo white = import black or gold = USA.
              Neckplates? Import will say Ft.Worth TX. USA will say PO box 245 San Dimas Ca.USA
              Last edited by straycat; 09-11-2011, 07:44 PM.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                All model series bolt ons were basswood except the model 88 it was African ribbon mahogany.
                Basswood varies in weight just like any other species of wood.The last Model 2 I had weighed in at 8.9 lbs about the same as a current L.P.
                Oh and to the OP you can tell the USA's from the imports by the logo white = import black or gold = USA.
                Neckplates? Import will say Ft.Worth TX. USA will say PO box 245 San Dimas Ca.USA
                1) Model Series body woods add ASH Model 7.
                2) 8.9 lb Model 2?
                3) Imports dropped Fort Worth when they finally expended leftover Model Series plates.
                4) USA add Ontario.
                Mitch
                AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
                  Yup basswood body and weighs a ton. I miss my old 86 Model 4. Think ripped too.
                  Today might be your day. I happen to be looking to get rid of mine. PM me if you're interested.
                  I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                  X