My 86 Model 6 has a straight 12" radius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 86 Model 6 has a straight 12" radius

I have my guitar in the shop getting a refret. The tech makes a comment about how it was easier to do since it was made before J/C went to the compound radius and it was a straight 12". It has a very low serial number and I know that the first time that the "conical" fret board is talked about in the model series catalogs is 88 where it says that it goes from 12" at some fret to 16" at the 21st. I know that it has been talked about before and the answer has always been that the model series has always had a compound radius fretboard. I'm not so sure about that anymore.
    (yes this guy knows what his is talking about, he was a huge J/C dealer in the 80's and is Sully's mentor)

Like you, I've always heard that they were always 12-16". I don't know the answer other than could it have been re-fretted before and they just re-radiused to 12" all the way down?? Maybe scratches/chips/damage that was easily fixed by re-radiusing to 12"??

I'm going to do a Level/Crown/Polish on my '87 pretty soon, I'll check and make sure that it's 12-16" but I'm 99% positive it is.
    Last edited by warlok; 09-02-2011, 01:34 AM.
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

My 88 M6 is a compound.
      I like EL34s.

Comment

Working...
      X