2002 A-PLUS PRO with Birdseye neck - ebony vs new MIJ charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 A-PLUS PRO with Birdseye neck - ebony vs new MIJ charvel

I'm wondering how the necks and fretwork compare on these two models. I realize the woods, pickups, and bridge are different. Anyone have or play both? I'm on the fence with way to go...

I really dig my Model A Plus neck. Rolled, ebony board with 24 frets. Comfortable and about the same radius as the new MIJ Charvels. However, the sears style headstock on the Model A Plus is a big negative for 99.99999999999% of the population which is why you can get a Model A Plus for about $300 when the MSRP was about $1200 new. If I was deciding between the two, I think it really comes down to the Pickups (the Model A Plus has more mellow/weaker pickups) and the trem (a recessed, licensed FR vs. a non-recessed Korean OFR. Hope this helps.

Comment

the trems are great on both, the pickups suck on the model a, the necks are very different. fretwork great on both, I love the new necks more than the 2002 but the oil finish sucks on them and they need additional work IMO.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. The one I saw was listed at 500. Mint but a little high considering what you can get a new one for.

What kind of Additional work are you referring to with the maple necks?

Comment

The necks are pretty raw so some have taken steal wool to make them smoother, I take 320 then 400 sand paper and reoil them with a couple of coats of tungoil

Comment

Ok. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X