Charvel So-Cal or DKMG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel So-Cal or DKMG?

Hello, it's been quite a while since I last posted or even visited here. life gets in the way sometimes I guess.

Anyway, glad to see the place still lively.

I have a question. I currently own a Jackson PS-4 but over the years have played a DXMG, SLSMG, DKMG, DR3 Fender Strat Elite and other strats, various guild solidbodies, and various Ibanez guitars. I have NOT tried a Charvel So-Cal yet, this may be corrected sometime this week.

My preferred neck is definitely Jackson, how will I find the new So-Cal Style guitars as far a playability goes? I'm leaning towards purchasing either a So-Cal(White) or a DKMG as they appear to be about the same price. I'm curious as to the opinions here as to which offers more bang for the buck and how the playability compares between the two.

thank you
    Last edited by DRH; 09-19-2011, 08:05 AM.

Those are 2 entirely different guitars. You have to ask yourself a few questions. Do you need 24 frets? Do you prefer the recessed trem or the non recessed. Dinky or strat body? EMGs or passive dimarzios? I think you will like the Charvel neck. I dont think its as thin as the jackson though. It also seems to me that you are either getting a great deal on the socal or youre getting ripped off on the dkmg if they are the same price. Personally, I would get the socal because the answer to all those questions are socal, to me anyway.

Comment

The dkmg new sells for 850 at almost all online stores unless it's old stock. The charvel so cal sells for 900 at almost every online store. I would just play one first then decide from there. Im sure you'll end up with the charvel tho, they're just nice.
      I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Depends on which neck you prefer. I don't like Fender Strat style necks, so I'd stick with the Jackson.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Hi thanks for the replies. Man did I ever luck out!

I ended up stumbling into a deal for a USA Charvel San Dimas Style 2 in black. I messed around on it for about 15 minutes and bought it, I love the neck on this thing.

Not quite used to the non-recessed floyd yet but that will come in time.

Comment

I was close to getting a style 2 a while back. I think it was an mij tho. Still it felt pretty good, had been dropped tho and had a decent sized body crack so I passed. Congrats on your NGD tho!
            I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

I own a DKMG and I've played the So-Cal. I would personally have to say I'd choose the So-Cal, it's a much better and comfortable feeling guitar. I thought that Jackson's were the best guitars ever, nothing was better, my favourite guitar make by miles, then I played Charvel. I consider them better guitars for my preference eventhough I only own one. But it's all about personal preference, play the So-Cal and see what you prefer, they're both great guitars but for me the So-Cal is what I'd go for, and I have had my DKMG for 6 years. Lol. Whatever one you decide to get I'm sure you'll love it.
              2002 Classical Acoustic
              2003 Cruiser by Crafter Strat
              2003 B.C. Rich Mockingbird "Firebreather" L.E.
              2005 Jackson DKMG
              2003 Fender Stratocaster Candy Apple Red Satin L.E.
              2008 Ibanez JS100
              2009 B.C. Rick KKV
              2009 Ibanez RG350MYE L.E.
              2005 Jackson RR3 Crimson Swirl
              1989 Charvel 375 DLX
              2010 Jackson JS30KV
              2010 Fender JR Telecaster
              2003 Fender Jag-Stang
              2010 Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod
              1988 Charvel Model 4
              2007 Jackson RR24
              2012 Jackson SDX Adrian Smith
              sigpic

Comment

I just noticed you got the San Dimas type 2. Congrats on the guitar.
                2002 Classical Acoustic
                2003 Cruiser by Crafter Strat
                2003 B.C. Rich Mockingbird "Firebreather" L.E.
                2005 Jackson DKMG
                2003 Fender Stratocaster Candy Apple Red Satin L.E.
                2008 Ibanez JS100
                2009 B.C. Rick KKV
                2009 Ibanez RG350MYE L.E.
                2005 Jackson RR3 Crimson Swirl
                1989 Charvel 375 DLX
                2010 Jackson JS30KV
                2010 Fender JR Telecaster
                2003 Fender Jag-Stang
                2010 Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod
                1988 Charvel Model 4
                2007 Jackson RR24
                2012 Jackson SDX Adrian Smith
                sigpic

Comment

Congrats on the charvel. I think you made a good decision. Enjoy it!

Comment

Used to own lots of import Jacksons .... DK2s mostly, very similar to DKMG .... but then when USA san dimas came out, fell in love with them. Had two of the USA ones but had to sell for some bills. One had bad frets, the other a bad trem. Solved the problems but fact is, they had them. Even with them, I loved them and felt if they ever moved production to Japan, I'd get some more.

Got a Carvin in the meantime. Eventually sold it when MIJs came out. Got a DK2 and an MIJ San Dimas. Eventually sold the DK2. Now have two San Dimas and that's all I'm probably going to play from here on out. Love the Jacksons but ultimately the Charvels have won out in my case. And the MIJs are hands-down much much much better than the USA production models. Better frets and overall fit, finish, and feel.
                    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Congrats on the new Charvie. You chose wisely. I've got both a USA San Dimas and a DKMG, and the DKMG is covered in a nice layer of "lack of playing" dust, while the San Dimas gets a regular workout. Not that there's anything wrong with the DKMG, I've just got a thing for non-recessed Floyds and I do like the neck. If I want that Jackson shred neck, I grab the 750xl...the best of both worlds.
                      My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Working...
                      X