Model 2 Bridge Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 2 Bridge Question

Hello, I bought a Model 2 new back in 1988 and it as been in my closet in its case for the last 10 years. I just got it out to play again and the first thing I did was change the strings and clean it up. While changing the strings I noticed that one of the bridge saddles had stripped out so I cannot adjust the intonation anymore. My question is should I buy a new little bolt and nut for the saddle (if so from where?) or replace the entire bridge? If I should replace the bridge which one should I get?

I'm looking forward to playing it again.

Thanks,

Chris

probably find what you need here:
    http://www.fretsonthenet.com/hardware.htm

Comment

If you do replace the entire bridge, It will need to have the 42mm block.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. It looks like frets on the net will save me a lot of money by just replacing the screw. Just curious if I were to replace the bridge which would be the best to get? Would the Ibanez Edge fit it as I've heard they are the best.

Comment

don't know what is best, but an OFR or Schaller should drop right in, since the M2 is non-recessed. Just be aware of potential issues with the different intonation lengths of each bridge. fwiw, I have a Gotoh Floyd in mine.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

I would pass on a Schaller. Nice, but the one I had eventually stripped...all six of the screw holes in the base plate, the screws used to set intonation. And it wasn't from overtightening or messing with the screws. Granted the bridge was about 15 years old when it went out but had only been set up three or four times in those 15 years.

Comment

I just recently replaced the JT-6 bridge on my Model 2 with a Schaller unit from a Charvel Model 375 that I parted out last year. Fit like a glove (I replaced the block with a longer one which works with top mounts.) No mods necessary. Although the JT-6 was very stable, I had fine tuning issues with those fine tuners on it. The newer Schaller has the top mount fine tuners and works much better now. Keeps in tune again and makes me remember why I thought my Model 2 was one of the best playing and sounding guitars I own.
              Last edited by jrnic; 10-24-2011, 12:46 AM.
              Guitars:
              Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
              1988 Model 2,
              Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
              RR3
              Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
              1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
              2005 SG Special

Comment

Thanks for the information everyone... I am going to order the parts from Dave.

Comment

schaller floyd never gave me any issues. i have guitar that's 25 years old with the floyd. they're sturdy and made out of solid metal, not zinc, which strips.

Comment

Keep in mind the Schaller saddles like the OFR's have a wider string spacing the JT-6 has reg spacing so your two E strings will be closer to the edge of the fretboard.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Hey, while I am getting this guitar ready to play again... does anyone recommend a pickup to put in it? I'll post my preferences below copied from a post I made in the amp section.

I am a child of the 80's and love hard rock/hair metal. Everything from Led Zeppelin/AC/DC to Motley Crue/Dokken to Firehouse/Candlebox and everything like it. I play at home through a RP350 and a KRK 6 which I love.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisf View Post
                        Hey, while I am getting this guitar ready to play again... does anyone recommend a pickup to put in it? I'll post my preferences below copied from a post I made in the amp section.

I am a child of the 80's and love hard rock/hair metal. Everything from Led Zeppelin/AC/DC to Motley Crue/Dokken to Firehouse/Candlebox and everything like it. I play at home through a RP350 and a KRK 6 which I love.
                        If that is what you like, the stock J-90C pickup is just what you're looking for.
                        METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes View Post
                          If that is what you like, the stock J-90C pickup is just what you're looking for.
                          Well that's good to know... It'll save me some time and money.

Comment

+1 a fantastic pick up.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I was going to say try whats in there before you change it. Ya never know you may like it and the J90C pickup is all kind of badassery too.
                              It's pronounced soops

Comment

Working...
                              X