Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone stripped their Pro Mod?

Hey all,
    I've just recently bought a Pro Mod SD in candy blue. Im mad about the Music zoo natural line and was wondering are the Japanes Pro Mod SD's several pieces of wood or are they (unlikely) single piece bodies??

Anybody here ever stripped their ProMod down?

Any advice appreciated!
    Thanks in advance guys

Several pieces, usually only three which is standard. Tryed Reliablefender on ebay for a Japanese Pro Mod neck? I take it you need the locking nut? - he has some jap wildcard rosewood necks.

Is the body Japanese pro Mod? - What is the neck pocket? 2 1/4"? I wanna buy some japanese pro mod necks.

Chances are the Japanese wood quality is better than the recent USA issues.

Reason I ask about neck heel, is you can pick up a custom unfinished Warmoth pointy Jackson 22 fret neck for $235 with blank ebony board (No inlays), 6100 frets, a 10-16" compound radius and a 'Standard thin' profile, which as near as dammit is exactly the same thin C as a USA pro mod. and oil it yourself. Of course they are 2 3/16" neck heels, so it that doesn't fit too sloppy it might be an option. Only thing is fretboards can be a bit thin on them. I don't know what Musikraft offer myself, but a fella in another post got a Fender Headstock San Dimas neck made up by them.

Re the body - You'll only know if its good for oils/natural once you've stripped it, luck of the draw I guess, hold it up against the light, you should be able to see how many pieces its made from and what sort of grain matching, if any is going on. If it were me, I'd just start with A KNE Guitars San Dimas style body from stratch and get it made with a wider neck pocket and recessed trem backplate if that is what you want. A whole lot easier. If you tell Mitch you want to oil it etc. they'll take more care selecting a nicer blank,. but all of them are nice from what I've got and seen from them
    Last edited by ginsambo; 11-21-2011, 03:41 PM.
    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

You pervert!
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

A few years ago, there was a thread on TGP where some guy stripped down a metallic green socal (USA pro mod). I can't remember what it looked like, but maybe you could search there.

Peace-

Comment

Cheers for the replies lads...
          Think i might leave her alone (sleeping dogs etc!) and relish in all that blueness
          Thanks for the heads up Ginsambo - had a looksie and some great stuff there to work from...
          Gonna start traipsin through the old forums again now...
          Thanks Rossness

Comment

I've got one of those and love the blue. I wouldn't touch it if i were you, but that's just me. I do like the naturals too though. I almost did that to an old model series, glad I didn't.

Comment

Yeah Chief, the naturals look amazing huh?! Really got the hots for a sc/neck hb bridge in mahogany w/chrome hardware
              Im going to NY at xmas so maybe.......

Comment

I stripped my Pro Mod and was soooo pissed when I found out that it was multiple pieces, that I immediately went at my RR1 with a heat gun. Turns out Jackson/Charvel makes complete shit guitars. I'm only here for the company.
                "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by Aidanspaghetti View Post
                  Yeah Chief, the naturals look amazing huh?! Really got the hots for a sc/neck hb bridge in mahogany w/chrome hardware
                  Im going to NY at xmas so maybe.......
                  That would be the way to do it! I've always loved naturals. I once saw a model series on the bay that had been stripped and I thought it looked great, I almost bought it.

Comment

Well i've just bought a D-tuna and a straplock set up so I'd better hurry up and buy a neck lol
                    Well Axegrinder, at least you're in Good company

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
                      I stripped my Pro Mod and was soooo pissed when I found out that it was multiple pieces, that I immediately went at my RR1 with a heat gun. Turns out Jackson/Charvel makes complete shit guitars. I'm only here for the company.

Paint must be one of the MOST expenses parts of a guitar, I really don't get the stripping idea at all. I mean unless you work at an auto refinishers or something. For the sake of $100 why don't people just get an Alder KNE body and start afresh? I mean they are bloody good bodies and for the money a bargain.

On the subject of DIY customizing stuff, can anyone have a look at the Warmoth Jackson necks, figure out and tell me exactly what the hell is going on with the contour at the end of the neck up by the headstock. I don't get it, as the thing contour is sameish as a Charvel and the headstock is angled right. Is this bit a raised relief or something?

Ordered one the other day, but I am thinking the end of the neck will need some sanding.
                      Take a look:

Still $200 for an unfinished ebony board pointy neck with no inlays, can't be bad.... Going on one of the star bodies I reckon.
                      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Working...
                      X