Super3 in 88' Model 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super3 in 88' Model 2

I just put a Super3 in my 88' Model 2 and it sounds very similar to the stock pickup which must be quite good. Just noticed an increase in volume, punch and growl. Sounds great... It's like the stock PU on steroids. Just curious... I just desoldered the old PU and soldered the new one in its place. Is there anything else I can do to increase the performance of this Super3? Are there any other mods to do to this that is worth it to give this single PU guitar more tone variety?

My HM Strats (for which the Super 3 was first installed and was designed for) have the TBX tone control. But that means drilling.

Another feature of the HM strat is a mini toggle to split the coils. You can do this, but I'd recommend a push/pull volume for no drilling. An I'd wire it in series/parallel to keep it humbucking.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
      My HM Strats (for which the Super 3 was first installed and was designed for) have the TBX tone control. But that means drilling.

Another feature of the HM strat is a mini toggle to split the coils. You can do this, but I'd recommend a push/pull volume for no drilling. An I'd wire it in series/parallel to keep it humbucking.
      Thanks DonP, that sounds like it will take care of a lot of tone changes outside of adding a new pup. I'd never heard of TBX before but looked up some info on it and will investigate further. I also looked up the series parallel thing but I am still confused there. Could you explain a little further please in newbie language? I'm not worried about drilling. I'm assuming if I split the coils it will sound like a single coil? Can I play off both coils separately or am I restricted to one or the other?

Comment

Sure.

First, the TBX control is a Fender idea where the tone has a center indent for normal. Turn it one way to allow more treble, turn it the other way for more bass.

Most humbuckers are wired in series for the most power. Think of it as two 1.5v batteries. You connect them end to end and get 3v. Same idea. In parallel, You connect the pluses together and the minues together and you still get 1.5v, but more current. With pickups, it's sort of that way but instead when you are in parallel, you should get a good clean tone with lower output than series.

Most people do split coils by grounding the middle point of the coils, so that only one coil functions. If you can wire a toggle to reverse the hot and ground wires of a humbucker when in series, you can flip between which single coil is active. Most people don't go through all this trouble. If you have a choice, with a bridge pickup it's usually best to leave the coil closest to the neck active.

Comment

Great explanation Don... I think I will eventually split the coils and add a tone control... probably start with the split coils first as there is no drilling involved. I am also curious if using the stock volume pot hinders the sound at all compared to maybe a newer/high quality pot? I am loving this pickup and this guitar again. I haven't played it in years and now I can't put it down. I gave it a nice setup and it plays like a dream. Did the pros like Lynch who had a similar setup on their guitars (single humbucker only) do anything special to the electronics?

Comment

Working...
          X