Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pro mod San Dimas; stained yellow necks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro mod San Dimas; stained yellow necks?

Hey all, been a lurker for awhile and finally joined up. Great forum! I used to own a 1989 Charvel Fusion Custom which I wish I hadn't sold.

Anyway, I just got my second Charvel in life, a 2012 Pro Mod San Dimas (Japan). Any idea what's up with the yellow stain on the necks? I assume it makes them look "vintage" and also maybe seals the necks a bit. Did all color models have that stain? I don't mind it too much, it looks okay, but I think it does make the neck feel a little more rough.

I bought a USA San Dimas 2 years ago, but sent it back because it seemed like "B" stock. It had finish issues and what looked like used pickups (bizarre for a brand new guitar). That, however, had a beautiful natural neck. Kinda wishing I had just kept that one now.

the usas had very white necks. they didnt' look vintage enough so when they went to Japan they added a tint to the oil used on the necks. that has nothing to do with the roughness. they don't sand them enough . many use steelwool to make them smoother. sounds like you got one of the left overs from the usa stock after production ended.

Comment

Ah, good to know, thanks. I guess I'm just being overly critical about the roughness, it's not too bad. I've already smoothed it a bit by simply rubbing/burnishing it with a clean cloth. Will also maybe hit it with some steel wool or polishing pads/cloth.

Comment

No. The Pro Mods as well as the newer MIC Charvel necks are rough. They definitely skimp on the sanding. You need to go over them with 0000 steel wool or 1500 grit (dry) to get them to feel like the older necks.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Good tips, thank you, I appreciate it! Glad to hear it wasn't just my imagination. The frets needed a good polishing too, which I did. I picked up some 600, 800 and 1500 grit the other day. I'll give the neck a little love and sweeten her up a bit.

Comment

I bought one of those cheap new Desolation Charvels... it felt like rough 600-800 grit final sanding. About 2 hours with some 1500 and then some 2000 watching tv to pass time, and the neck feels like a thousand bucks now.

Comment

2 hours? Man, your arm must have been wiped after that. I'll bet that neck is amazing now though.

Thanks for the motivation, guys. I've got the 1500, now I suppose I better go find some 2000 too, then settle in with a good movie, heh.

Comment

Nah, I just slowly went over it with 1500 and 2000 with the grain... that's really fine so it takes a while before you get full coverage.

After that it feels like a lot like a clear satin finish.

Comment

Originally posted by MotoSolo View Post
                  2 hours? Man, your arm must have been wiped after that.
                  Nah, I bet hes used to that stroking motion, if you catch my drift...

And the neck on my USA was kinda rough for my taste (I like painted necks), but my MIJ Wildcard neck was amazingly smooth. Guess its the luck of the draw really, I personally liked the bit of tint they used on the MIJ ones.
                  Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                    Nah, I bet hes used to that stroking motion, if you catch my drift...
                    If that's the case, I'll have no problem sanding mine, hah!

I do like vintage tints as well as natural; I just wanted to be sure someone didn't rub something on there by mistake. And you're right, it is luck of the draw on guitars; they all seem to have there own quirks and personalities.

Comment

Working...
                    X