Advice, Charvel 475 Special too bassy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice, Charvel 475 Special too bassy

Hi, I have what I believe is a MIJ late 80's/early 90's Charvel 475 Special. Its a strat style body with HSS pickups and 5 way select. It has a volume pot, a tone pot and like a mid boost pot. Its got the Fort Worth Texas plate on the back where the neck bolts on.

Anyway, I never play it because I always find the bass string on the guitar sounds waaaaay too bassy/flubby. The humbucker in it was I believe a J50BC. I swapped it out and put in a Duncan JB thinking the problem was the stock pickup. Wrong. While the JB does sound better it still sounds too bassy/flubby. So now I am thinking maybe it has something to do with the electronics.

So question. Does anyone know of a mod that can be done to the electronics in this guitar to reduce the bassiness? Thanks.

Hmmm...Been a long while but I used to have a black and silver desert crackle way back when they came out. I bought it new in like 89- Guitar lasted me a decade of shows- But I did HATE the active Jackson pickups and had everything ripped out and re-wired with Duncan JB and Duncan singles. I think the Jackson preamp board thats in there (with the boost circuit) may have something to do with it. I would have that sucker taken out- Just need the basics- I even skipped wiring through the tone pot because I never used it...

Comment

The stock Jackson pickups sound great, especially a J50BC with a JE1200, probably one of my favorite combinations... It almost sounds like your JE1200 is malfunctioning. Im assuming you changed the battery and checked all the connections?
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I have a 475 Deluxe Exotic. The low end sounded a little undefined for me with the J50BC so I switched it out with a J90C and that cleaned it up pretty good. My boost circuit works fine though. I would either remove the circuit or replace it and that should clear up your issue. These are great guitars!
        "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
        ENGL Powerball II
        Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
        Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
        Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
        1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
        1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
        2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
        2011 Jackson DK2M Black
        1987 Charvel Model 2 White
        2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
        1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
        1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
        2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
        2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
        2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
        2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
        2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
        2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
        2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
        1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

This problem is incurable. the only solution is to ship the guitar to me for proper disposal. I wont even charge you for it.
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Thanks very much for all your responses. That was very helpful. I think I am going to take Rockcity and BigE13's advice and bypass the active electronics and just wire it passive. I really believe that will solve the problem. I bought the guitar new and it has always sounded the same so I know its not due to a malfunctioning part. Thanks again for your responses.

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
              This problem is incurable. the only solution is to ship the guitar to me for proper disposal. I wont even charge you for it.

Ha tonemonster, you are a funny guy! I probably will never part with this guitar as it is so playable. Just need to tweak the sound a bit, but thanks for your offer. You are so thoughtful

Comment

Originally posted by slinger View Post
                Ha tonemonster, you are a funny guy! I probably will never part with this guitar as it is so playable. Just need to tweak the sound a bit, but thanks for your offer. You are so thoughtful
                Hey, I am here to help, right Tommy?
                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Thanks very much for all your responses. That was very helpful. I think I am going to take Rockcity and BigE13's advice and bypass the active electronics and just wire it passive. I really believe that will solve the problem. I bought the guitar new and it has always sounded the same so I know its not due to a malfunctioning part. Thanks again for your responses.
                  Yes sir, good choice....that is a 25 year old design for active electronics in there- Never thought is sounded good even when I had that guitar brand new. My old 475 Deluxe "came alive" once I got it rid of that stuff and just went with a Duncan set up...

Comment

Ha tonemonster, you are a funny guy!
                    Yeah, well, looks aren't everything!

Ba dum pshhh
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RockCity View Post
                      Yes sir, good choice....that is a 25 year old design for active electronics in there- Never thought is sounded good even when I had that guitar brand new. My old 475 Deluxe "came alive" once I got it rid of that stuff and just went with a Duncan set up...
                      So I did it. Got it wired passive with a master volume and master tone (the mid boost control no longer does anything). OH Yeah baby! New guitar! That completely fixed the problem I had with this guitar. That guitar spent a lot of years hanging on a wall. It is suddenly getting a lot of use. Thanks again for the help and suggestions.
                      Last edited by slinger; 10-20-2012, 08:03 AM.

Comment

So I did it. Got it wired passive with a master volume and master tone (the mid boost control no longer does anything). OH Yeah baby! New guitar! That completely fixed the problem I had with this guitar. That guitar spent a lot of years hanging on a wall. It is suddenly getting a lot of use. Thanks again for the help and suggestions.
                        Glad to help- Miss my old 475 Deluxe- Great guitar....

Comment

Awesome! My 475 Deluxe Exotic sounds pretty good but my boost circuit is working as new. I still might disconnect mine though and see if the J90C gets a little meaner! Glad the mod worked out for you as these are awesome guitars!
                          "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
                          ENGL Powerball II
                          Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
                          Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
                          Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
                          1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
                          1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
                          2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
                          2011 Jackson DK2M Black
                          1987 Charvel Model 2 White
                          2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
                          1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
                          1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
                          2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
                          2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
                          2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
                          2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
                          2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
                          2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
                          2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
                          1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

EQ ing the amp works too ever think of that?
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                            X