Help with low Serial Number 650XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with low Serial Number 650XL

Hi Guys, With the great knowledge here perhaps you can answer a few questions, I own 2 650XL's and a Charvette, all great Guitars.. Aquired a VERY low Serial Number 650XL I wish to restore. Because it is one of the first ones made I question what it might have been built with. It's in good shape but the Bridge Pickup has been changed out. DD in the Bridge. The 1200 is MIA. The Singles are blank with no Jackson Logo on them. Is this correct? Pretty sure they are original. What HB do you suggest for the Bridge to make it Original ? I do have an original 1200 laying around I plan on installing. Also the Trem. has an original Schaller Logo at 25.5 Scale Length. would this be correct? My other 650 has a JT on it. From the first day I picked it up it played and sounded awesome but it needs to be put back. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Welcome.

Pictures?

It was made with WOOD Poplar with a maple neck through just like your others.

No, the singles would have had Jackson logos. J200's without logos were first year very early on a Model 6. Are you sure you know a Model 6 from a Model 650XL? They are not the same.

Original bridge pickup would be a J50BC.

What do you mean by original Schaller logo? Pictures?

Why would it not be 25.5 scale length?

Are you sure your other 650 is a 650 with a JT on it? JT what? JT590? JT6?

We can be of a lot more help with pictures, because as you are a it sounds like you may be confusing terminology. It's like someone who is describing an elephant as pink but doesn't know the difference between pink and grey.

Your next question will be "How do I post pictures?"

First, you need to upload them to a web hosting site. My ISP provides 20MB to host my own stuff. If not, use photobucket or something similar. NOT facebook, or you will have rocks thrown at you

Then link the pictures here with the [ i m g ] and [ / i m g ] tags (take out spaces).

Good luck.

I have a pair of Model 6's and they are excellent. 650XL's are a cut above, but come in odd colors I sometimes don't like.

I restored my Black one from an empty shell. I used a J80BC for the bridge for more umph. The Red one is stock.
    Last edited by DonP; 01-20-2013, 09:14 AM.

Comment

The Schaller could be a replacement trem. It's the same thing minus the Jackson logo. It would indeed be helpful if you could show us some pictures.

Comment

OK, I'll give it a shot. Not much doubt about what it is.

Comment

Sorry, but photobucket is a PITA. The coding of your links looks correct, but the URL doesn't look right.

I don't use photobucket, but I think your issue with getting pictures to link is that you need to select "link for IMG tags" somewhere on the page with your pictures. You positively cannot copy the URL in you browser address.

Hopefully a photobucket using member will be along soon to help.

Comment

Last edited by Tder1; 01-21-2013, 05:59 AM. Reason: add Pics

Comment

IMG code, click it, then right click here and select 'paste'
              My guess would be that none of the pups are original. My question is if it still has the stock electronics in the cavity.
              "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Nice guitar!

Comment

Thats some Sexy stuff right there
                  1989 Magenta Charvel 650XL (Now my main guitar) , 1989 White Charvel 650XL, 1989 Trans Amber 750 XL, 1989 Cherry Sunburst 750XL Abortion,1990 Jackson soloist ATT pro Trans Red, 1993 Jackson Dinky Std Black with pick guard , 1992 Jackson Stealth Ex repainted, 1994 JDR-94, 1994 JDR-94, 1995 DR3 (Old Main Guitar) trans purple quilted maple picture , 2002 RR5 white and gold, 1988 Model 4 cobalt blue, 1993 Jackson Fusion Std black, 1990's Alvarez Fusion acoustic electric cutaway, 2009 Alvarez AD60ck Koa acoustic electric cutaway. Crate BV-150 Heads, SKB PS55 pedal Board, Shure wireless

Comment

Thanks Scooter, You're a Gentleman, The electronics are not installed and the singles look like Jacksons from the wiring. What are the possibilities that a Schaller would have been installed when it was built?

Comment

That Schaller is basically a JT590. It's possible the earliest ones weren't' branded with the Jackson logo.

Honestly, it doesn't matter. It wouldn't affect the price. I would consider that correct. Nice guitar. I wouldn't change anything unless you need to.
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                        That Schaller is basically a JT590. It's possible the earliest ones weren't' branded with the Jackson logo.

Honestly, it doesn't matter. It wouldn't affect the price. I would consider that correct. Nice guitar. I wouldn't change anything unless you need to.
                        I agree. The first JT-590s weren't branded Jackson or Charvel. I have a 550XL with a chrome Schaller.

Those singles should have logos. It looks like someone sanded off the tops. Either that or there are not the original pickups for this guitar - they were taken from an early 1986 guitar.

Comment

Working...
                        X