No announcement yet.

What to do with my Model 4? Inspire me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with my Model 4? Inspire me!

'Sup, fellas!

I've got a Charvel Model 4 body with a Kahler tremolo and I'm thinking of ordering a Musikraft Charvel style maple strat neck with either a maple, rosewood or ebony fretboard to go with it.
    What colour should I paint the body?
    I'm thinking of filling in the middle single coil pickup too.

If you have any photos of kewl superstrats, please post ´em!

Thanks
    algeriet

Sell it and put the money towards what you want?
    I hate even just a body being molested.

Comment

Leave it alone and just buy an aftermarket body.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have a black 1986 M4. I went with gold hardware. I'd do an ebony fretboard with mine, but I have too many "Black with Rosewood" or "Black with Maple guitars". The gold hardware looks good against ebony as well.

Comment

I know, I'm just getting weird about MIJ Charvel/Jacksons overall.
          Missing neck?
          I'd wait for a neck to come along.
          I know there must be a million of these around but to me it's "They just don't make them anymore".

Comment

Model 4's are gay with those tiny toggle switches on them, also combine that with the black hardware look and they remind me of everything that was tech and sad about the 80's like Atari's and Sinclair computers, rather than the fresh music instead. I'm not big into permanently modding something for the worse and the paint on those model series was fine for sure, especially that sparkly pinky champagne and blue. I'm deliberating about putting creme pups in my model 3 as I seem to be obsessed wth creme pickup rings and pups, but that would be it and I still don't know if it would just make it look too funky. Can't get on with the J90C though, been too spoilt with the pro mods and a JB I guess.

I modded my Japanese pro mods with creme rings and pups and tuners, but at the end of the day, they still look like Japanese pro mods, not vintage or Custom Shop USA's. I'd love to mod my wildcard 1H with a single creme or zebra pup, but just can't bring myself to drill it for a pup ring, so I'm opting to make another identical one or five instead. Basswood model series bodies are not worth the input IMO, unless you want to make it look like an old USA with the Kahler? Bare in mind though, it will never be one and will still be Basswood.
            You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
              Model 4's are gay with those tiny toggle switches on them, also combine that with the black hardware look and they remind me of everything that was tech and sad about the 80's like Atari's and Sinclair computers, rather than the fresh music instead. I'm not big into permanently modding something for the worse and the paint on those model series was fine for sure, especially that sparkly pinky champagne
              So the mini switches are gay, but the sparkly pinky champagne color isn't?

I always loved those mini switches.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Guess I'm gay then.
                I prefer the mini switches over the flip toggle, or blade.
                It's a fine feature on the Model 6 as well.

And I think the J90C is a damn good pickup.

Genetic, I guess.
                Last edited by Cygnus X1; 04-08-2013, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Get tired of people saying things are gay you can do better than that ginsambo.
                  I find the mini toggles easy to work with just sayin'.
                  Oh and I use the vol and tone knobs on a guitar is that gay too?
                  Lets see I don't run the gain all the way up on an amp either I suppose thats gay as well ?
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

OK, they'd be OK if you replaced them with mini brass toggles then, how's that? Honestly Stray, you don't want to hear me write an essay on the subject.

And the sparkly pink champagne colour is not gay! This is 2013 and that is my favorite colour.

I like using gay as a descriptive word, it reminds me of being 8 years old again and averts my attention from my imminent mid life crisis.

I don't know if it's this particular J90C or what, as another does sound good, but I am used to using alnico II SD pups and also having the gain half cocked at max and not into overly powerful pickups but it just sounds weak and toneless and dynamically lacking. Kind of almost scooped and hollow and I don't play with much gain at all as said as I am more of a classic rock 80's metal and blues kind of guy. I hate that scoopy tone and through my Marshall DSL50 it sounds even worse.....Perhaps the baswood saps some of the brighter mids, I donno. I just think it's gay.

It just sounds like a gay pickup, get over it. Maybe it's just this one, maybe it's post opt or something
                    Last edited by ginsambo; 04-09-2013, 03:12 AM.
                    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Truly uninspiring posts, guys!
                      Thanks

Comment

It's your guitar, so fill in the middle single coil. I'd also route it for a Floyd!
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                        X