Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 2 question

Howdy.

If you saw my first post, you'll have noted I recently picked up a Charvel Model 2.

When researching this guitar model online after the purchase, I found this site:

There is a data base there that shows serial #'s for the Model series in '86, as well as the features to look for in an '86 Model Series guitar.

My particular guitar has the Trademark (by Jackson/Charvel™) headstock marking, as well as the serial # falling towards the late end of 1986 production. It has correct Jackson J90-C pickup, and it "had", when I purchased it the "correct" Kahler 2520 tremolo system (since changed out for a 2710 "Killer").

What is throwing me off it the neckplate. According to the site listed above, an '86 Model Series is supposed to have a non-gasket neckplate. I'm pretty sure mine is gasketed, and it doesn't fall in the database's 1987 serial number list.

Here is the guitar in "original configuration", with the exception of a speed knob that someone added.

Note the "Trademark" headstock.

Here's the neck plate, on the day I brought the guitar home. It's Serial # is 247850.

That *is* the aforementioned gasket around the neckplate, isn't it?

If so, it the database "wrong"? Is it possible that the late '86 guitars had gaskets, or is mine an aberration?

Anyway, just wondering if mine simply didn't follow the pattern or there was another explanation.

Thanks!

I was the one that assembled that database info for Henrik (who skillfully messaged and organized it). In summary, the data establishes trends - approximating serial numbers where some stuff starts and other stuff ends - like "TM" and "R" for instance. The value is that if your guitar has the majority of 1986 featues and falls in the 1986 serial number "window"....then its probably an 86. I would say that there is NO definitive serial number starting point for any given feature, so your neck plate gasket is not wrong or right (if that makes sense), its just there . Another good example is the lengthy serial number transition that occurred during the "guitar" logo to the "toothpaste" logo changeover. Definitely no defined cut-off there for sure.

Mark
    "Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Comment

Thanks, Mark, that's what I figured

Comment

86 had gasket.
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I have never had an 86-88 that didn't have the gasket.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Play the guitar more. Worry about little shit less.

Comment

I've had a Model 4 without the gasket. It had a Kahler flatmount so it probably was an '86. I got it used but noticed how the impressions on the finish where the plate resides perfectly matched up with the backside of the plate, which is not perfectly flat but is raised around the perimeter. The combination of the pressure in this region with the poly not being completely dry when it was placed probably led to this. These impressions are covered with the gasket and are not seen on guitars with the gasket...like on my Model 2 which I did buy new.

So, if you REALLY want to know, you could look for these impressions or lack of em under the neckplate. But I tend to agree with DonP...just play the damn thing and enjoy!!
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I have red 86 Model 2,pretty sure,there is no gasget,witch is irrelevant to me.Tremolo is that Jackson "licenced under Floyd Rose patent".
                It has been with me since day one
                my gear:Charvel series 2
                Charvel SoCal Pro Mod
                Epiphone Les Paul Standard HCS
                ENGL Thunder 50 Reverb
                Marshall MG30FX

Comment

Working...
                X