Model 4 repair/restoration questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 4 repair/restoration questions

Hi! I'm probably going to score a Charvel Model 4 from a freind who is sick and tierd of it.

One of the locking saddle locking nuts is missing, one of the mini switches is broken and the electronics are dead.

He bought it second hand and it was originally blue I think, then the previous owner painted it yellow and my friend painted it satin black, there is probaly enough paint on that guitar to make it bulletproof!

So will a new Floyd Rose special retrofit the guitar? I'm not willing to spend a whole lot of money on the guitar but I don't want to cheap out and make it worse than what it already is.

Also, since the mini switch is broken I'm thinking of just sanding down the guitar, fill the mini switch wholes and drill for a toggle switch, will that work, can you use a regular three way switch on a HSS guitar?

And after that is done I'm getting a guy to paint it gloss black.

A floyd special will go straight on it, make sure you get a 42mm block for it as I'm not sure the block off the JT6 will fit the special. It's worth getting the new posts from frets on the net. Can't you get hold of a new mini toggle switch? It'd save you a lot of work

Comment

Hope you can score it for nothing, as it's sounds in pretty bad shape.

Toggle switch only works with two pickups. You'd need a 3 way blade or 5 way blade.

Comment

Great! I guess I'll just buy 3 new switches and keep it as close to original as possible.

I can get a black gotoh floyd for around 30$ more than the FR special, so I'm probably going to do that.

Comment

With the dead electronics, you may need new pickups. The electronics in my Model 4 died, or at least went scratchy, and rather than try to replace them, I threw in a couple of Lace Sensors (emerald in the neck, silver in the middle) for the singles and a DiMarzio 36th anniversary PAF for the humbucker. It sounds awesome.

Comment

Working...
          X