Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help ~ Charvel '89 650XL - sparkly finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Usually stingers are for breaks right at the headstock. It wouldn't work the same with this break so far down the neck.

Comment

Nice one! Take all the hardware off and soak in WD40 for awhile, then use a toothbrush and scrape the rest of the rust off.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        Nice one! Take all the hardware off and soak in WD40 for awhile, then use a toothbrush and scrape the rest of the rust off.
        Looking at those tuners, it looks like it would take the paint of too

Comment

Looks like it broke right at the scarf joint. Sand it down smooth and it won't be so noticeable. It'll feel real nice too
          It's pronounced soops

Comment

Looks like a diamond in the rough!

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement guys

So, had it cleaned up over the weekend:

In case anyone's guessing 'why 4 string' I'm considering changing those rusted tuners, and sanding down the neck.

Still unsure if the pickups. Has anyone used these circuitboards on their 650XL or 475 models? I'm also considering swapping those to dimarzios H/S (steve special + air norton) pickups...

Otherwise, this is a tidy little gem

Comment

holy shit, man. It hardly looks like the same guitar!
                Hail yesterday

Comment

That one cleaned up really nice. I would sand the neck and back of the headstock to the wood and oil it. New Jackson tuners will make it look even better. Je-1200 mid boost came stock on 650XL and 475.
                  Last edited by Kisonen; 07-28-2013, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Nice job! Looks great. I agree with the new tuner recommendation.

Last time I cleaned up a grimy guitar, I completely took the entire Floyd apart and soaked the individual parts in 3-in-1 oil. Actually, I did that with every piece of hardware. Don't know if you did that or not, but just wanted to mention that it works nicely.

Comment

Yes i'll be changing those tuners, and sanding back the neck till it's heel sounds good.

Dismantled the floyd and tuners and soaked them for a day. The floyd ended up pretty good, tuners still function as they should but the outside were all rusted and the finish started peeling off.

Applied some mineral oil to the fretboard and it feels spanking new (other than a few dinks)

Comment

Wow, looks great!
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                        X