Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Import Charvel WTF Pawnshop Find - What the Hell is this Thing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import Charvel WTF Pawnshop Find - What the Hell is this Thing ?

A little pawnshop 80 miles away out in boonies, nowhere near any city of any size, lists a rare Ibanez RG on Craigslist for a good price and I decide to make the trip to get the Ibanez. While there I noticed a strange white Charvel on the wall. This place was just a little wooden shack pawn shop out in the country. They had about 200 rifles and handguns and about 15 guitars if that tells you anything. There was no logic whatsoever to how the guitars were priced. They had a beat Korean POS Kramer with a potmetal single-locking Floyd for $699.99. The pawnshop owner told me "I know Fenders, don't know anything about these rock n' roll guitars".

So this strange white Charvel is hanging on the wall with a $199.99 price tag. I get to looking at it and am more intriqued in the "what the fuck is this thing" factor than actually being interested in purchasing the guitar. From best I can tell, it has as Japanese neck but this is not a model series neck from 86-88. The logo is a little larger, lettering just a tiny bit different and the logo placement is a little further to the left than on the model series. The body is not a strat body, it's more like a Dinky or Soloist. The belly cut is like a USA Charvel/Jackson and the control cavity cover looks correct for a Charvel. The really weird part is that it's a string-thru-body. The paint is a nice shiny bright white that looks factory quality. Being a sucker for a single-humbucker shred machine, I kept walking back over to it and checking it out. I kept talking with the pawnshop owner and the price kept coming down. I wasn't there to buy this one but when he finally agreed to sell it for $125 out-the-door, I couldn't pass it up. The final deciding factor was that it played amazing with insanely low action. Somebody had it setup for low-action shred. Final bonus, a Seymour-Duncan cream/black zebra pickup(not sure what it is yet).

I'm going to take it apart here in a bit and see if I can find anything else out about it. I suspect the neck is a post-1988 Japanese neck for the Japanese market. What the body is, I have no idea.

Take your best shot............ what the hell is this thing ?

I can tell you what it isn't.
    It isn't a J/C body.
    Close, but the route shape is off a bit. So is the lower horn cut.
    It could be the pic angles, but it looks off to me anyway. But yeah... Dinky body of some sort.
    Neck looks right. Looks like someone tried to die the fretboard to look like Ebony. I can see the Rosewood popping through on the headstock close up.
    The oversized truss rod cover looks like shit to.
    Last edited by rjohnstone; 08-07-2013, 03:39 PM.
    -Rick

Comment

Took it apart, mystery solved. USA Chandler body, Duncan JB pickup.

The rosewood just looks a little dark in the pic, it hasn't been messed with, it's in nice shape. Agreed on the trussrod cover. This thing plays so good, I'm just going to put the correct trussrod cover on it and change out the volume knob to a metal standard J/C knob and enjoy it. The whole thing has a cool look/vibe to it. To me, it looks like a bolt-on model 5A. I love 5A's, have 3 of them.

Comment

Cool.
        I like Chandler bodies.
        -Rick

Comment

The HS looks a little odd, like it was repainted and relogo'ed maybe? You got your $125 in parts no prob.

Comment

The neck looks like a Chandler too thats why the replacement logo is off center.Try removing the paint on the headstock and I'll bet there is a Chandler logo under it.
            Pull the truss rod cover off and post a pic and I'll see if it looks like my Chandler neck.
            MJ wound your pick up too thats a huge plus that should be one hell of a sweet JB.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              The HS looks a little odd, like it was repainted and relogo'ed maybe? You got your $125 in parts no prob.
              Somebody must have lightly went over it with steel wool or something. They were trying to make the headstock finish more of a satin look than shiny. The logo is all original and it's under the clear. It's definitely a Charvel Japan neck with original factory Gotoh Jackson labeled tuners. 2 seconds with some polish shined it right back up.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                The neck looks like a Chandler too thats why the replacement logo is off center.Try removing the paint on the headstock and I'll bet there is a Chandler logo under it.
                Pull the truss rod cover off and post a pic and I'll see if it looks like my Chandler neck.
                MJ wound your pick up too thats a huge plus that should be one hell of a sweet JB.
                I'll get you a pic tomorrow morning. Does your Chandler neck take a regular allen wrench to adjust the trussrod or a round socket-type wrench ?

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  Here you go, standard Japanese Charvel setup. In fact, now that I take a good look in this area, you can see where the original Kahler or JT-6 locking nut was mounted. Therefore, this most likely is an 86-88 Charvel neck.

Comment

Yep... like I said earlier, the neck looked legit.
                    Is the Rosewood really that dark or is it just in the pics?
                    -Rick

Comment

Did a complete disassemble, fret polish, fretboard clean and oil, polished out the headstock and body, reassembled with new strings, a correct trussrod cover and a black metal volume knob. Looks better now, plays amazing, sounds great with the older Zebra Duncan JB that was already in it. I see exactly why somebody built this guitar. They wanted a non-trem Charvel and had an excellent neck they liked. Whoever built it did a really good job. Even the paint is a pro job. Probably not worth much but is a seriously great player. I'm not much for mutts, but this thing kills.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                          Yep... like I said earlier, the neck looked legit.
                          Is the Rosewood really that dark or is it just in the pics?
                          Look at my last 2 pics. They are fairly representative of the rosewood. Yes, it is dark, that way from the factory. Some of the model series necks are like that.

Comment

I like it... looks awesome.
                            -Rick

Comment

Nice score!
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X