Interesting '86 / '87 Model 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting '86 / '87 Model 4

This is my Model 4 and without the original paperwork, I'm trying to figure out if it's 100% factory original or not:

What I know:
    The Kahler means 1986. The sharkfins and (R) logo mean the neck is 1987 (or later). Neckplate is a (TM) logo, again '86. But it has a neckplate gasket, which I don't think they started doing until '87.

So, the question is, is it a factory "transition model" (or "model 4 1/2" as I've heard it called), or a 1986 that had a 1987 neck put on later?

From the serial number and Audiozone database, late 1986 is believable, (there is no date stamped in the neck pocket). The person I bought it from insisted it's 100% factory original. The thing that also has me leaning towards that conclusion is the neckplate gasket . . . if it was a standard 1986 it wouldn't have come with the gasket, (I don't think). And if there was a need down the road to change out the neck, and the owner bought an '87 replacement, would they really have taken the time to add a gasket? There are a few reports online of others having seen Model 4's with Kahlers and sharkfins, but I can't find pics of any to confirm.

Regardless, it plays incredibly well. But I'd love to hear some opinions and know if anyone else believes in the "transition" models or has one that they know is stock.

The gasket was added in late 1986, around 238XXX. I've had a couple Model 4s after yours in the 245XXX to 247XXX range that had the Kahler with MOP dot and TM logo on the neck. I've also never seen a Kahler/Shark Fins/R logo combo. I doubt the neck is original to the body on yours.

What logo is on the tuners - JacksonTM or JacksonR?
    Mitch
    AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

I had one. don't know if it was original

Comment

Originally posted by modelseriesman View Post
        The gasket was added in late 1986, around 238XXX. I've had a couple Model 4s after yours in the 245XXX to 247XXX range that had the Kahler with MOP dot and TM logo on the neck. I've also never seen a Kahler/Shark Fins/R logo combo. I doubt the neck is original to the body on yours.

What logo is on the tuners - JacksonTM or JacksonR?
        Tuners are Jackson TM.

Comment

Let me rephrase my previous comment - I've never seen a Kahler/Shark Fins/R logo combo with the possibility of being factory but I've seen several owner-admitted mutts.

Originally posted by Jaxsnake View Post
          Tuners are Jackson TM.
          It leaves the door of possibility open, but still unlikely. It would be rare.
          Mitch
          AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

Can't say I have ever seen a model series without a neck plate gasket. I have had some early 86's all had the gaskets.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
              Can't say I have ever seen a model series without a neck plate gasket. I have had some early 86's all had the gaskets.
              Could be the neck was swapped and the gasket forgotten?

Comment

Could be a "we have this old kahler body here still but only the new necks". Do the necks on these have anything useful stamped on the heel?
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  Could be the neck was swapped and the gasket forgotten?
                  This one has a gasket. But Modelseriesman's point that gaskets began around serial numbers 238XXX kind of ruins my theory of the gasket and sharktooths being an '87 thing that the factory did on this late '86 making it a "transition". Apparently it would have had a gasket anyway, even in early '86.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                    Could be a "we have this old kahler body here still but only the new necks". Do the necks on these have anything useful stamped on the heel?
                    I think that's the theory behind the legend of a "transition model" (aka model 4 1/2). That the factory had parts to be used and simply put them together. There are stories of Kahler bridges with Floyd nuts, Floyd bridges with Kahler nuts, and sharktooth inlays on Kahler bodies. Of course, it's difficult to confirm whether the stories are true or not. And the problem with this one is there are verified serial numbers after mine that were dot inlays, (although not necessarily model 4's . . . I suppose they could have continued making 2's and 3's with dots but knew they were going to run out and slapped a sharktooth upgrade on the 4 since it was a little more expensive).

Though not the same transition as what we're discussing here, this link describes another transition model:

In terms of the neck pocket and heel, I checked them both . . . nothing useful stamped on either.

Comment

I have a model 4 in pearl white that is the opposite. '87 model body with floyd routing and a '86 neck with dots.

Probably mix up somewhere, but i always thought the neck on mine was not originally on the body.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenw5094 View Post
                        I have a model 4 in pearl white that is the opposite. '87 model body with floyd routing and a '86 neck with dots.

Probably mix up somewhere, but i always thought the neck on mine was not originally on the body.
                        Me too, the serial was 253026

Comment

Wouldn't matter all that much either way if it were mine. That guitar is CLEAN! Looks like it just came off the factory floor and was delivered yesterday! Well ok not yesterday, what with the "Jackson" logo being rubbed down on the pickups and all. But still! Nice guitar man!
                          I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Working...
                          X