Charvel Desolation Star DST-1FR Arrival & Disappointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Desolation Star DST-1FR Arrival & Disappointment

So, I used to have a Star body back in high school, a Kramer Voyager. Loved that guitar. And I’ve really be jonseing for one again. So I ordered a Desolation Star to reacquaint myself with the body style. Thought if I’d live with it for a while, and if I enjoyed it enough, it might lead me to do a Charvel custom shop order down the road.

It arrived yesterday. Now, I went into this with a very open mind. While I’d very much prefer to buy USA – and will pay the premium for it - I’m not an import hater. Imports have an important role, especially at the entry and mid-levels where this guitar is priced. And things aren’t like when I was in high school in the 80s - there are a whole lot of budget imports that have quality well above their price points now. …But, well to be blunt, this just ain’t one of them. My excitement for revisiting an “old friend” body style quickly turned to disappointment. I won’t hit on every single thing, but the quality of this guitar is just poor.

- With cool build specs – 3 piece maple neck-through, mahogany body – I thought it would have screaming tone. Instead, it screams poorly-constructed budget guitar.
    - The tone is borderline lifeless and the sustain just sucks, especially in the lower register.
    - The rosewood fretboard has cheap, ugly bright streaks.
    - The cut line between the painted body and the oiled neck is extremely abrupt, and you can feel a noticeable high ridge at the edge. No attempt to sand this to a smooth transition whatsoever.
    - The neck doesn’t feel like the smooth, oiled Charvel coolness you’d expect. It actually feels more like raw, untreated wood. Less than stellar sanding/buffing, too. And the quartersawn wood seems too “green”. Not the color - I mean it seems “freshly cut”, for lack of a better word.
    - The guitar has some misaligned hardware, including the Floyd and jack.
    - Numerous nasty paint flaws. The pics speak for themselves.
    - The set-up and intonation was absolutely horrid – I honestly can’t remember playing anything worse right out of the box. And, when I tried to adjust the action, the Floyd posts were so stiff and locked, they bent the allen wrench!

This is my experience with just one guitar from the Desolation series, so I can’t say they’re all bad. Who knows, maybe I just got a really bad lemon? But I can say for sure the experience is so poor, I won’t be buying another. And, less than 24 hours after I got it, I’ve already decided that this guitar will be going back for a refund.

Charvel needs to do better with this import line. There are just too many competing import high quality-to-cost value guitars in the price range. And whoever their Chinese contract manufacturer is, they need to do MUCH better with their quality control. I’d even go so far as to say Charvel should consider dropping them altogether.

Sorry to be such a downer on this one, but I can’t personally recall having a worse new guitar experience before. Very disappointed.

Sorry to hear that man. My DS-2 was a great guitar outta the box, but that was also within weeks of them being available. Hopefully yours isn't indicative of the Desolation line now.
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Personally I'd give em a chance to make it right. Judging from everything I'm hearing about them you got a lemon, not the normal quality level 99% of people get. Don't be so quick to crucify the entire line because of one dud. I'd bet that if you give them a chance you'll get a much better one to replace yours.
      In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Wow. Recently, I almost traded an old Ibanez for this exact guitar......The specs (EMG's, real Floyd) seemed great and I was thinking it would make a great number 3. I never did play it......maybe you just got a lemon?....I would hope so. Now I'm very curious to play one.....
        -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Yeah, you're probably right that I'm being too hard on the whole line for one bad guitar. But this isn't just a lemon. It's a really bad lemon. LOL

Already got an RA#. Going back for a refund.

Comment

My one desolation experience was the same haven't touched another sinceanother since
            Haters gonna hate
            Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Wow bro that sucks and I am sorry to hear and see that. I saw a lot of flaws just by looking at the photos. Thanks for the heads up though!
              This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Jeez Louise, that sucks. Mine doesn't get a lot of play time but when I do use it, I love it. I get a great tone from it & there's very little wrong in the quality department.

My biggest concern is the hardware already starting to discolour, if it goes awry I'll replace it with black.

Real shame dude, hopefully you can have your faith restored & try one that's not crap.

Comment

I have real concerns about the Charvel import lines as they are now. My Mexistrat (ProMod) is pretty meh on the quality O meter. There are a few bad "dents" in the neck where it feels like whoever was sanding it got a little to exuberant on the belt sander. It plays OK now. I don't love the neck but that's a personal thing. It feels hard edged to me if that makes sense like playing a 2X4 where as my old 375 and 475 are like playing a stick of butter. There are a few other unfinished item on the guitar too.
                  I play mostly Ibanez guitars at this price point, actually the prestige guitars are a bit higher, but even the regular Korean RGs that I've had my hands on absolutely wipe the floor with import Charvels like a dirty rag.
                  Last edited by Donovan; 09-07-2013, 09:10 PM.

Comment

My personal experience is completely the opposite. I've played almost every model in the series, from low end to high end. Each and every one of them was spotless and just great, right out of the carton box they came in.
                    I ended up buying two, a Flat Black DS1-ST and a a Flat Black SK1-FR. I've played them live, both of 'em , right beside my USA Jackson RR1 and my Japanese Charvel 650XL. I've got nothing but good things to say about these guitars.
                    I may buy a third one, a Snow White DX1-FR Soloist.
                    It sucks yours was that way. I'll send it back also.
                    Facebook - Youtube

Comment

I FINALLY got a chance to play a desolation series guitar, and it was the blue star, with 2 EMG's and a floyd. From a distance, the blue top looks really cool! The guitar balanced well on my leg and didn't have much, if any neck dive. Those are about the only good things I can say about it.The neck felt Ibanez thin. The frets were too small. The EMG's sounded meh. The neck finish felt kind of weird too. For an almost $700 guitar, I wouldn't get one, but that's me and my mini review.

Comment

I have really gone back and forth on whether to get one of Desolation Stars. I've heard the good, the bad and the ugly and, in the end, I decided to just order me a custom shop instead. Fuck gambling on whether it'll turn out like you hope!

Comment

I found the finish cut line on the necks on all the desolations I've tried is like you experienced. It's like a sharp 1.5mm ridge. You can tell they just pull off the tape and then they are done. The fretwork was okay on them, but the fret material itself seems prone to corrosion. Perhaps that's the trip over on the deck of a container ship, but all of them felt gritty and were visibly tarnished.
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Back in July I saw a Blue Smear DS-2. Loved it but didn't get it. Nor have I gone back to that shop to get it.
                            But yesterday, I just picked up a used DS-2 from craigslist. Transparent black.
                            Love it.
                            $250 w/hs case. and unlike some of my other cl purchases, this one isn't damaged or in dire need for care.

don't misunderstand, it doesn't compare to my 86 Jackson. but it didn't cost the big bucks either.

the question is:
                            why are the controls in reverse? 3way switch, top position is bridge, bottom is neck. The knobs are reversed the same way. Bridge knobs where the neck knobs should be.

PS
                            I do find the neck line to be odd. but not a distraction.
                            Last edited by pianoguyy; 10-28-2013, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Made in China junk. Avoid. There are plenty of good imports being made in South Korea with killer hardware, pickups, wood and fit/finish. No reason to buy Chinese and Mexican junk.

Comment

Working...
                              X