Model 3A 'Lifesonized'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 3A 'Lifesonized'

I'm a huge Rush fan. I built a white Hentor Sportscaster replica last year, with the intentions of building one of his red version. I stumbled on a '84 Charvel Model 3A for what I thought was a very good price. Never having owned a Charvel, but always wanted one, I Googled it, and the price seemed more than fair. It played really well, so I bought it. I played it, but it was put on the back burner in place of my newly built replica and my favorite PRS CE24. I bought two 'real' Bill Lawrence 500L pickups when I was doing the Hentor, and really liked the sound of the one I put in the Sportscaster. So much so, that I decided to throw the second one in the Charvel. While I was at it, I decided to install a mirror pick guard, ala the one on Alex's red Sportscaster. After the install of the pickup and guard, and a quick setup, I can't put this thing down. The tone is sublime, and it plays like butter.

A couple gratuitous shots of my Hentor:

Comment

Originally posted by 21Twelve View Post
      I stumbled on a '84 Charvel Model 3A
      FYI - they didn't make any Model series guitars in 1984. They were produced from 1986-1988.

Comment

Yup, Matt has it.

A Kahler would likely make it a 1986, perhaps real early 1987.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Back to the point...awesome guitar and I am a huge Lifeson fan as well! That guitar is a real beauty! Congrats on the build!
          "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
          ENGL Powerball II
          Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
          Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
          Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
          1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
          1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
          2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
          2011 Jackson DK2M Black
          1987 Charvel Model 2 White
          2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
          1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
          1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
          2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
          2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
          2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
          2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
          2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
          2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
          2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
          1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Originally posted by BigE13 View Post
            Back to the point...awesome guitar and I am a huge Lifeson fan as well! That guitar is a real beauty! Congrats on the build!
            Another Lifeson fan. Cool. Here are a couple pictures I took from the Clockwork Angels Tour.

Comment

Grace Under Pressure.
              8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

Originally posted by 21Twelve View Post
                Another Lifeson fan. Cool. Here are a couple pictures I took from the Clockwork Angels Tour.

Awesome, looks like you had great seats! i saw them twice on the 1st leg and then once on the 2nd. They still put on one of the best shows in the business! been a fan since 1980!
                "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
                ENGL Powerball II
                Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
                Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
                Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
                1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
                1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
                2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
                2011 Jackson DK2M Black
                1987 Charvel Model 2 White
                2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
                1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
                1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
                2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
                2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
                2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
                2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
                2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
                2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
                2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
                1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Lifeson is the weakest link in that band. Sorry guys I know my opinion won't be liked on this thread but it's how I feel.
                  Last edited by leftykingv2; 09-10-2013, 02:36 AM.
                  This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
                    Lifeson is the weakest link in that band. Sorry guys I know my opinion won't be liked on this thread but it's how I feel.
                    No.

Comment

Nice model 3 and I would think an 86 due to the Kahler fulcrum trem.
                      Never got into Rush the bass player for some reason annoys the shit out of me.Maybe its the tone of his voice IDK.
                      Think fingernails on a chalk board.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by conker2021 View Post
                        No.
                        Then you're saying Getty Lee or Neal Peart are the weak link in that band? I don't think so buddy. Bass players and drummers every where never stop singing their praises and some go as far as to call them gods. I've never heard anyone mention the words "Guitar God" and Alex Lifeson in the same paragraph and for good reason. As someone with a Masters Degree in Jazz I just call him "very sloppy" but, to each his own.
                        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
                          Then you're saying Getty Lee or Neal Peart are the weak link in that band? I don't think so buddy. Bass players and drummers every where never stop singing their praises and some go as far as to call them gods. I've never heard anyone mention the words "Guitar God" and Alex Lifeson in the same paragraph and for good reason. As someone with a Masters Degree in Jazz I just call him "very sloppy" but, to each his own.
                          I'm not saying any of them are the weak link so before you put words in my mouth think a little bit. You're implying that there is a weak link to Rush. All of them are EXTREMELY talented musicians and it's silly to even say that one of them is lesser than the other. I've NEVER heard anyone call Getty a "bass god" because he's not.

Comment

Your both wrong. It's *Geddy*

Someone had to do it...
                            Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
                            Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

There's nothing weak about Rush, all 3 play there role perfectly, therefore this argument is meaningless.

OP, awesome guitar, congrats.

Comment

Working...
                              X