usa vs american san dimas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• usa vs american san dimas

Hi guys. Is there any notable differences in quality/finish etc between the USA San dimas production model bodies and their jap pro mod equivalent? Are they exactly the same just screwed together elsewhere?

Thanks
    Stew
    Last edited by Stew; 10-21-2013, 02:04 PM.

I have both a USA and an Import (Japanese) Pro Mod. Both are outstanding guitars, the neck on the USA is raw and has gotten lots of Mojo on it that has proven hard to clean but hey, it's Mojo! the Import neck is sealed better and has stayed cleaner but they both feel about the same to my hands as far as comfort, shape, playability etc...They both have the Tone Zone/Evo pups in them and both sound equally great. To be honest if my Japanese version had USA plates etc...I don't think I could tell the difference.
    "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
    ENGL Powerball II
    Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
    Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
    Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
    1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
    1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
    2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
    2011 Jackson DK2M Black
    1987 Charvel Model 2 White
    2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
    1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
    1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
    2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
    2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
    2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
    2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
    2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
    2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
    2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
    1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Originally posted by BigE13 View Post
      I have both a USA and an Import (Japanese) Pro Mod. Both are outstanding guitars, the neck on the USA is raw and has gotten lots of Mojo on it that has proven hard to clean but hey, it's Mojo! the Import neck is sealed better and has stayed cleaner but they both feel about the same to my hands as far as comfort, shape, playability etc...They both have the Tone Zone/Evo pups in them and both sound equally great. To be honest if my Japanese version had USA plates etc...I don't think I could tell the difference.
      Are you just saying that because you're in Japan?
      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by BigE13 View Post
        the neck on the USA is raw and has gotten lots of Mojo on it that has proven hard to clean but hey, it's Mojo!
        Exactly, it's mojo and you DO NOT clean off mojo. Heck, that's what attracts me to the oil finished maple necks. The more I play them the dirtier they get. _

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
          Exactly, it's mojo and you DO NOT clean off mojo. Heck, that's what attracts me to the oil finished maple necks. The more I play them the dirtier they get. _
          +1
          I like black and white guitars

Comment

I find that I play better on a clean maple board over a dirty one so I keep mine spotless. All my buddies are like you Walshula and MattB. They always yell at me not to clean them.
            This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I have both also. I must admit I prefer the neck on the USA model better. I'm not that keen on the rolled edges of the Jap model. The fit and finish seem to be identical. I was wondering whether there was an improvement of wood qualities between the two. I would say my USA model is ever so slightly heavier, but I know that 2 USA models could be slightly different weights depending on how dense the wood was used to create it.

Comment

I would think USA models use higher quality woods hardware etc.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
                  I find that I play better on a clean maple board over a dirty one so I keep mine spotless. All my buddies are like you Walshula and MattB. They always yell at me not to clean them.
                  Well I do think one should not let crap pile up on the fretboard but an oil finished is going to get some dirt on it even if you are religious, as I am, about cleaning your hands before playing.

Comment

I would think USA models use higher quality woods hardware etc.
                    Don't agree with that. It's hit and miss. They are are good and all equally as different. Have a couple of USA bodies with wood knots and paint imperfections in them.

The fit and finish is better on most of my Jap pro mods, paint thicker maybe?, but the necks are better on most of my USA pro mods, but it's no general rule. Main difference is the neck finish colour and honestly that is about it. If anything the quality of neck and body wood used on the Jap models is better.

Main thing to consider is that the harder fretboards are generally less rolled. If you want a very rolled edge get a maple necked one.
                    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Ain't no fun in getting someone elses spunky penis pizza juice norovirus ebola all over your fingers. Makes it kind of worse and all the more tangible when you can actually see it.
                      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
                        Ain't no fun in getting someone elses spunky penis pizza juice norovirus ebola all over your fingers. Makes it kind of worse and all the more tangible when you can actually see it.
                        I confess I've never had penis pizza but I believe you.

Comment

I was actually referring to the back of the neck and not the fretboard, I actually never owned or played on a Jackson with a maple board yet. Crazy to think of considering how many I have been through :think:
                          I like black and white guitars

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
                            Don't agree with that. It's hit and miss. They are are good and all equally as different. Have a couple of USA bodies with wood knots and paint imperfections in them.

The fit and finish is better on most of my Jap pro mods, paint thicker maybe?, but the necks are better on most of my USA pro mods, but it's no general rule. Main difference is the neck finish colour and honestly that is about it. If anything the quality of neck and body wood used on the Jap models is better.

Main thing to consider is that the harder fretboards are generally less rolled. If you want a very rolled edge get a maple necked one.
                            I really don't know what to say about this. You'd figure a bigger price tag equals higher quality especially on hardware, wood grade and craftsmanship. I can tell a difference between my USA and import stuff. My Ibanez Steve Vai and Satch models are both Japanese made and are super high quality/ extremely good players but the quality of my USA Jackson's are light years better in my opinion. Maybe I just like the Jackson better subconsciously. Who knows, But better is a relative term.

Comment

Originally posted by walshula View Post
                              I was actually referring to the back of the neck and not the fretboard, I actually never owned or played on a Jackson with a maple board yet. Crazy to think of considering how many I have been through :think:
                              I don't own a maple board Jackson either. All ebony.

Comment

Working...
                              X