Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexico Pro Mods/EVH neck heels

Hello friends, enemies, and frenemies.

I played a couple of the Mexican Pro Mods and must admit that the necks are great on them. I can totally imagine that with some tlc coming from my behalf, including a couple of layers of the gunstock oil+wax combo and they'll be just as great as their Japanese/American counterparts.

Anyways,

I can't part one out to check, so I was wondering if you guys know if they'll fit Japanese Charvels bodies?
    Also, the new EVH Strat models, would have been amazing to add a Charvel Strat head to one of those. Ya'll know if their heels are Charvel sizes too?

As I recall, the EVH is a flat heel whereas the Charvel is rounded.

Comment

I emailed Reliable Fender and asked what the heels were on the MIM's. Replied 2 1/4" so business as usual. But can't guarantee he actually measured it, although probably did.
      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Yo know the MIM Charvel necks have the Fender headstock though right?

Comment

The EVH striped guitars are regular MIM Strat bodies so I think they will be 2 3/16.

Comment

Ginsambo, thanks for e-mailing them! Never thought to do that.
            Whaddaya mean about the headstocks? I never said they weren't, haha?

Predator:
            They aren't regular MIM Strat bodies since they've got the Charvel routes on the back etc.

Comment

Don't thank me. Thank Reliable Fender. lol. The headstock has a gradual, tapered Fender carve on the face of it, from the nut down to the face of the headstock, rather than the steep dished out angle that Charvel headstocks have, you can see this as the walnut plug is longer and tapered. Also there is too much meat on the headstock, behind the low E tuner. lI suppose you could always route/chop it out yourself, what difference it makes is none probably, I just thought it was interesting that they were using Fender templates and yet the heel was still 2 1/4".

Comment

No shit, I didn't notice! Well that's a little funny now that you mention. But in all honesty, if I'd ever get a MiM Charvel neck to build a mutt, it would definitely not be about being as true to the source as possible, hehe. I just recently put together a Fender Strat USA Standard body from 2011 in Candy Cola with my 1986 Charvel Model 4 neck. AMAZING results!

Comment

Originally posted by algeriet View Post
                  No shit, I didn't notice! Well that's a little funny now that you mention. But in all honesty, if I'd ever get a MiM Charvel neck to build a mutt, it would definitely not be about being as true to the source as possible, hehe. I just recently put together a Fender Strat USA Standard body from 2011 in Candy Cola with my 1986 Charvel Model 4 neck. AMAZING results!
                  How did you fit the Charvel neck on to the Fender Strat body?

Comment

Routed out the neck pocket for the wider Charvel neck. Ought to tale photos and upload them here soon.

Comment

Originally posted by algeriet View Post
                      Routed out the neck pocket for the wider Charvel neck. Ought to tale photos and upload them here soon.
                      Yep.... i thought the fender pocket was 2 3/16 inches and the charvel is 2 1/4 inches. Probably 1mm in the difference.

Comment

I'll admit.. I played the Mexican Pro Mod stuff yesterday and those necks are on par with the USA and Jap stuff.. I was totally impressed and this coming from a USA Charvel and Jackson snob..
                        John 3:16

Comment

Working...
                        X