Jackson in house wound pickups used in the Model Series Charvels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson in house wound pickups used in the Model Series Charvels

I have a few of these kicking aound that I've bought or traded for not really sure what to do with them. So I'm looking for opinions on the different models that they made.
    Humbuckers:
    J50's without the JE1200
    J80's
    (the rest I'm familiar with)
    single coils
    J200's without the JE1200
    For those that have used these pickups, your responses would be appreciated. What you like about them, what you didn't like about them. Did you use them in stock guitars. Did you wire them into some other guitars.
    I have a few guitars lying around just gathering dust, so I'm wondering which pickups to put into what.
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

The J50 is sort of medium-low output, great for classic rock (with or without the JE-1200). The J200 without the JE-1200 is pure ass.

Comment

J50BC sounds fantastic IMO. It's my EVH tone - no boost.

And J100's sound great too. J200's sound great with a boost, never tried without a boost.

My J80C is with a boost, never tried it without.

Comment

J 200's were designed to work with the mid boost and sound dark and muddy with out it.
        All the other Jackson pick ups kick ass IMO.Abagail Yabarra wound a lot of the Jackson pick ups, she winds the Fender custom shop stuff and she worked for Duncan too.I rest my case.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

IMO the J50 sounds a lot better in basswood than it does in my model 6. I think the poplar is just too bright for it and it comes up short on the low end chugga chugga.

Comment

I had two J 50's in my 87 maple bodied Jackson super strat #1987 and they sounded fantastic.
            Used two J-50's in my mahogany fusion H-H and they sounded great in it too.
            Just a great mid range PAF type pick up.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I had a J50N in my old Kelly XLR, and it sounded awesome. I took it out and put it in the neck of a Dinky HX, and it also was awesome. Both were poplar bodies with maple necks/rosewood boards. Definitely one of the nicest neck pickups I've ever tried.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

J80C is kind of in the JB zone, but the JE-1200 could take it into really high output territory. I never ran mine dimed, it was usually off or close to it. I would kind of use it to dial in the amount of 'chainsaw' I wanted from power chords. Nothing but good things to say about that one, but since my model 5 had a pair of them they are the only Jackson pickups I've used.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  Abagail Yabarra wound a lot of the Jackson pick ups, she winds the Fender custom shop stuff and she worked for Duncan too.I rest my case.
                  I'm certain A.Y. wound all of my J/C pups. She wound the SHIT out of them, too.

Comment

I'm still befuddled by the Abigail Ybarra thing; I know she worked for Jackson, however, she worked for Fender for quite a long time - she even mentioned in an interview that her first day on the job Leo Fender walked her over to a pickup winder, showed her how and what to do, and that was that.

Same story with MJ and Seymour Duncan.

Yet at some point, A.Y. wound pickups for Jackson. I mean, this is the woman whom Eric Clapton says he will not use any pickup wound by anyone other than. For her to have been at Jackson in the mid-80s, Fender would have been going through considerable issues (like letting their older/best winders go), and E.C. would have been gathering Strats made in the 60s/70s, thus acquiring Abby's pickups. It's plausible, I suppose.

Still, there was an interview with her when she visited Seymour Duncan sometime last year, and from what she said, she's been with Fender exclusively since she started in the biz.

So does that mean those kickass Jackson pickups were outsourced to Fender?
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Theres a video (kinda crappy though) on youtube where a guy tests all the ceramic versions of Jackson pickups. I think he does a J50, J80, and a J90. The way he did the video I think the J80 sounded best. Might be worth checking out. But like I said he did a test on the ceramic models.
                      Gear:

Jackson DK2M (07')

Jackson PS-4 (99'?)

Charvel Model 5 (86')

Randall RG50TC

Maxon OD-9

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        I'm still befuddled by the Abigail Ybarra thing; I know she worked for Jackson, however, she worked for Fender for quite a long time - she even mentioned in an interview that her first day on the job Leo Fender walked her over to a pickup winder, showed her how and what to do, and that was that.

Same story with MJ and Seymour Duncan.
                        The difference with MJ... she was just driving someone there to drop off a job application, she was listed as a reference, but they called her and wanted her to work instead!
                        I think AY retired not too long ago, and MJ is still going strong as Seymour's leading lady.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                        X