Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adjusting the Truss rod on a Charvel San Dimas Neck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting the Truss rod on a Charvel San Dimas Neck.

Ok honestly I think it's retarded to use the vintage style Fender Truss rod at the body position. I don't see any benefits from it. Is there any?
    I think about it you are going to make adjustments maybe 2 to 3 times a year over a few years wouldn't you worry about the threads getting stripped out? Not to mention how retarded it is to take your neck off, adjust , put back on , play it check it, remove it again and repeat until you got it right. I'm not a fan of this at all. I'd rather have it at the head stock like Jackson and ESP does. Both my Jackson and ESP have it there and it's a breeze to setup unlike the Charvel.

Comments? Thoughts? Concerns?

I remember you complaining about this when you reviews the guitar. While i agree with your opinion I don't recall if you knew what the truss rod nut was like before you bought the guitar. If you did not then you failed to asses the instrument thoroughly prior to purchase and did not adhere to the "Buyer beware" mindset. Conversely if you knew what the truss rod was like before you sealed the deal then why did you buy the guitar? Either way the truss rod is the way it is and you can either accept it or change it.

like I said I don't like their truss rod nut arrangement but I love Strat head Charvels so I found a way to make it work the way I want it to for less than $100. If I did the work myself it would only cost $6. Charvel offers spoke truss rod nuts as a custom shop option which entails cutting a notch in the end of the fretboard, routing a small channel in the body underneath this notch then replacing the existing flathead truss rod nut with a spoked version. When that's done you can easily adjust the truss rod without loosening the neck.

Comment

I also think it's retarded, especially since Fender has their truss rod adjustment at the headstock. Though, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I wanted a Charvel. I mean, you just loosen the neck bolts a little bit and don't even have to fully take the neck off. And if you keep your guitar in a case when you're not playing it, you might not even need to adjust the rod at all.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
        I remember you complaining about this when you reviews the guitar. While i agree with your opinion I don't recall if you knew what the truss rod nut was like before you bought the guitar. If you did not then you failed to asses the instrument thoroughly prior to purchase and did not adhere to the "Buyer beware" mindset. Conversely if you knew what the truss rod was like before you sealed the deal then why did you buy the guitar? Either way the truss rod is the way it is and you can either accept it or change it.

like I said I don't like their truss rod nut arrangement but I love Strat head Charvels so I found a way to make it work the way I want it to for less than $100. If I did the work myself it would only cost $6. Charvel offers spoke truss rod nuts as a custom shop option which entails cutting a notch in the end of the fretboard, routing a small channel in the body underneath this notch then replacing the existing flathead truss rod nut with a spoked version. When that's done you can easily adjust the truss rod without loosening the neck.
        I knew about the truss rod adjustment but didn't think it would even bother me as I love the way the guitar plays. It's why I purchased it in the first place because it plays so well.
        The Custom Shop idea is a very good one. I think I'll drop them an email and see if this is an option for me. I think they should be that way from the get go as I'm worried about them stripping out over time.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
          The Custom Shop idea is a very good one. I think I'll drop them an email and see if this is an option for me.
          If I'm understanding you correctly, are you thinking you can send the guitar to the custom shop to get modified? If you are, don't bother contacting them about it because they won't do it. It's only an option on guitars that are ordered from the custom shop. If that's not what you're inferring then please excuse me.

If you want to modify your guitar to have the spoke truss rod Mike Learn will do it. I've had him do it for me when I sent him guitars for refinishing and other mods. This what the mod looks like when it's done.

Comment

Its not a big deal to adjust the stock truss rod quit whining.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
              If I'm understanding you correctly, are you thinking you can send the guitar to the custom shop to get modified? If you are, don't bother contacting them about it because they won't do it. It's only an option on guitars that are ordered from the custom shop. If that's not what you're inferring then please excuse me.

If you want to modify your guitar to have the spoke truss rod Mike Learn will do it. I've had him do it for me when I sent him guitars for refinishing and other mods. This what the mod looks like when it's done.

Thats exactly how it should have been from the factory. He does nice work.

Comment

Working...
              X