Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 chravel model 4 help

Hey guys,

i recently bought what I believe to be a 1986 model 4. I'm not really sure how the je-1200 system is supposed to work. Is it a push/pull pot? It was frozen, but I loosened it up and it only turns doesn't pull up. I plan on completely refinishing the guitar from the ground up and I'd like to keep the insides somewhat original if possible. I'd also like to put in new pups but have no clue which ones to get? I obviously don't know much about this guitar and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Its a knob. It twists, just like any other knob.

I can only speak from personal guitars, not all of them in general.
    3 knobs - volume, tone, midboost. In that order.

Comment

Ok thanks. Glad I didn't try pulling it up too hard. Either way I don't believe it works. The insides are kind of a mess in there and one of the toggles isn't original and one toggle appears to be just a killswitch of some sort. I'm guessing someone tried getting creative with this thing.

Comment

I was going to mention that if the knob was rusted shut, it is probably no good.

Killswitch - I put new pickups in one of my guitars. They weren't equipped for any type of mini switch, so I made it a kill switch instead of a big gaping hole in my guitar.

What makes you even think you have a je1200?

Comment

I thought that's what the third knob on a model 4 was? It has the original passive jackson pups in it. I don't believe the neck pup works. Like I said it's a total mess inside. Good news is that it does play! At least the hum does and middle single do. I can't figure out what's going on with these toggles tho. Do you happen to know what each toggle is supposed to do? Is each supposed to be a selector for each pup?

Comment

Here are a few pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Stephenamundson83 View Post
              I thought that's what the third knob on a model 4 was? It has the original passive jackson pups in it. I don't believe the neck pup works. Like I said it's a total mess inside. Good news is that it does play! At least the hum does and middle single do. I can't figure out what's going on with these toggles tho. Do you happen to know what each toggle is supposed to do? Is each supposed to be a selector for each pup?
              Pictures!!!
              Birds like you fly straight to heaven

Comment

Hey guys,

i recently bought what I believe to be a 1986 model 4.
                If it's got dot inlays and a Kahler bridge, yes it's more than likely an '86. Sharkies and a JT-6, would be '87-'88. Pics!!!

I can't figure out what's going on with these toggles tho. Do you happen to know what each toggle is supposed to do? Is each supposed to be a selector for each pup?
                Each toggle is an on/off for each pickup. The third knob adjusts how much mid-boost for the JE-1200.
                Last edited by BayRocker; 06-25-2014, 06:09 AM.
                My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

I tried uploading some pics last night but I think admin needs to approve them before they go up. I'm new here, so I might have messed it up somehow hah.

Ah so it is an 87-88 then. It does have the sharkfin inlays and had I believe a jt6 trem which I replaced with some licensed FR that I had laying around to see if the guts worked on the guitar. The jt6 was missing a part or 2.

Comment

Ok I see the pics have gone up now. Update-- the first toggle switch I can notice a slight change in tone, 2nd switch I can tell no difference at all, and third switch I can also hear a slight tone change. With all 3 switches either up or down the guitar still plays from my amp. So it seems as tho they're not acting as they should, on/off selectors. Also I do seem to notice a mid-boost when I turn the third knob now. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention when I first played it.

Comment

That setup looks like 3 on/off switches.

I have some bleed with a je1200 -- meaning, with the boost knob all the way up, I still get volume with the volume down.

Change the battery, see if that helps at all.
                      Here's why:
                      I have a je1200 that works with dead batteries. Its not 100%, but it works. Yet, if I unplug the batteries altogether it does not work. Its worth a try, right?

Does that battery say 2010 on it?

Comment

Wow, good eyes. It was an old battery and I didn't notice with it being right in front of my face hah. So I took it out and played with all knobs turned up and nothing. So I threw a new battery in and it is working more how it should! The first and third toggle act as on/off selectors, the second still does nothing. Meaning that the middle pickup may be dead? I know nothing about how the electronics work in a guitar so maybe just a wire needs to be soldered somewhere along the line? Does anyone happen to have a wiring diagram handy? I'd still like to possibly change the pups out for new ones and I'd imagine it would come in handy for whoever does the work for me.

Comment

Wow, good eyes.
                          The eyes are shot. The picture was just that good.

Wiring diagrams are available via google search.

Dead pickup. Dead switch. Bad wiring. Any number of possibilities.
                          Did you do the 'tap' test to see what pickups are working? Take a screw driver and tap on the pickups. At least you'll know which switch goes to which pickup. Its very possible that its been rewired and the 3rd switch is something else... like a coil tap.

Comment

Yeah I tapped the a screwdriver on the middle and I could still hear a sound. Not sure if it was just vibrations from the body or not. It was more faint but still there. I'm no expert tho. I wonder if it's worth the money and effort to redo this guitar or just leave as is. I suppose I'll have to find someone local who knows what they're doing to look at it. I only paid $150 for it so hopefully getting it back to 100% working order won't empty my wallet.

Comment

Working...
                            X