Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JT6 has only stripped and converted to gold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT6 has only stripped and converted to gold?

Just had my model 5 repainted so next is the gold conversion, I have the machine heads, and knobs gold, also the pickup surrounds painted, so its time to see about a bridge. I really like the JT6 and its fine tuners out the back, and would like to stick with it, just wondering if anyone has tried stripping the bridge and getting it gold plated ?
    Last edited by Chiefgroover; 07-24-2014, 03:45 PM.
    7 Charvels and a load of other stuff.

You are probably in uncharted territory but it could be interesting. I've seen at least one chrome plated one that was supposedly original.

Comment

In the paint stripper atm, base plate is steel and some brass parts too, so hoping they will all gold plate nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefgroover View Post
        In the paint stripper atm, base plate is steel and some brass parts too, so hoping they will all gold plate nicely.

Waste of time so polisher with rouge has done the job.......next to the gold platers of 10 microns of gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
          You are probably in uncharted territory but it could be interesting. I've seen at least one chrome plated one that was supposedly original.
          No, these are real. I have a couple I think. They came out at the end of the JT6 life (like on the 275, 550, etc.).

Comment

Waste of time so polisher with rouge has done the job.......next to the gold platers of 10 microns of gold.
            If possible, I'd like to know how much this adds up to.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              If possible, I'd like to know how much this adds up to.
              Ok I am plating the mounting posts, the trem holder, base plate, whammy bar, saddles, fine tuners and screws, and the string lock inserts which I have ground the top surface of smooth. the estimate is (UK) £180 plus tax and post, bearing in mind thats for a full 10 microns of gold. Yes i could of had a new floyd, but as i prefer the JT6 it will be worth it.

Comment

Before sending I grinded the heads of the string locks, and then polished to a smooth finish. Not sure why but I did lol. Hopefully will have it back and installed next weekend.

Comment

Man it's just not going to be a JT6 without that rough, industrial finish!

Comment

Post pictures of how it turned out.

Comment

before it left, had polished a few bits
                      Last edited by Chiefgroover; 07-29-2014, 08:28 AM.

Comment

There must be a secret to posting pics i just havn't got yet lol

Comment

before it left, had polished a few bits
                          I'm not familiar with Imageshack. Can't help you there, but maybe someone else can.

Comment

lesson one, dont strip the bridge, let the plater do it, as if you remove the copper coating it needs redone, costs more !

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X