Is Fender destroying the Charvel brand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
    Well, if he had been honest in the first place, nobody would have had anything "negative" to say.

This was his first sentence about it:

"The best Charvel’s were made by Wayne himself (He & Michael still build them too) everything else is really kinda a fake anyway, lol "

Thomas Edison didn't actually invent the lightbulb? OMG my life has no more meaning!!!!

Exactly! You can't just drop something like that here. I don't think anyone really hates Wayne at all. What we hate is misinformed statements like that, and you can't fault people here for wanting to keep at least our little corner of the web free of the bs. The worst of it is on other boards & in the "Charvel Guitars" Facebook group.

"Check out my ('84 pointy), built by the man himself!"
    "I worked directly with Wayne on this beauty (serialized strathead)"
    "If you want a real Charvel, get a Wayne!"

It's annoying as shit, and it never ends.

Comment

Just to add a little more on my own thoughts about Wayne:

I think he deserves a lot of credit for bringing the concept of upgrading and hotrodding guitars to the masses, which definitely helped create the demand for ready-made hotrodded guitars that Grover was able to take advantage of later. Also, I think the guitar-shaped Charvel logo is the coolest thing ever.

I have never owned or played a Wayne, but plenty of people whose opinions I respect, many of whom have great collections of Charvels & Jacksons, have said that they can make a great guitar. I think a lot of that has to do with Michael. From what I've seen, I think he's an excellent painter, and I have only heard good things from folks who have dealt with him.

Comment

Think I'd rather have a Wayne Charvel custom guitar rather than a Fender Charvel custom!

Check out the Wayne guitar son Youtube and they look really awesome, But quite expensive.

You can also see how skilled Wayne is. Using more basic machines rather than all CNC.

Comment

"Fender" Charvel Customs are made by Mike Shannon (who has built many times more guitars than Wayne) & some of the other guys who go back to the Ontario & San Dimas shops, and they aren't "all CNC". USA promods were made on the Fender line. Jackson USA Select, Custom, and Charvel Custom are made in a separate part of the Corona facility by JCMI employees, doing it pretty much exactly like it was done in the Ontario shop prior to the Fender buyout, which is some CNC and lots of hands-on detail work.

Comment

sorry but I'll take a guitar that's been more CNC'd over one made with a router.

Comment

So I have a question. Was Wayne still with Grover when they made the first Jackson? Randy's? Never mind I just read he left in 78..

I had a LE "Flame Up" USA Promod that was OK. Sold it and got a MIJ Socal Promod that was awesome. Although come to think about it, I think the chrome Floyd special had something to do with that.

Comment

Originally posted by jspeed View Post
                Recognized?
                For what?
                If we were talking about Kahler's Golfclubs I may chuckle along with you, but here we're talking about a guitarshop with an established customerbase, even if it was only local

Anyone reading the crap storm of negative comments from a couple of you guys, would think..... Only a total idiot would keep the Charvel family name on their company as a badge of pride.

Seriously, its funny hell to watch guys go bat crap crazy when Wayne’s name ever gets mentioned in any guitar forum.
                I think your misinformed opinion is no laughing matter, the untruths you spread with that, hurt the Charvel name and legacy more than any buyout
                Again, just to clarify: the only contributing factor of Wayne towards the success of Jackson/Charvel was leaving
                "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                  Closing the Japanese factory is huge for those that love the imports.
                  Clarification: Fender didn't close the Japanese factory, they let the Japanese factory go bankrupt.

Originally posted by dg View Post
                  doing it pretty much exactly like it was done in the Ontario shop prior to the Fender buyout, which is some CNC and lots of hands-on detail work.
                  Not true. Since moving to Corona they've added CNC... the USA Select and Custom Select are mostly CNC now. Without the new CNC machinery, Custom Selects wouldn't even be possible. Almost all of the routing used to be done by hand with templates. It's now mostly CNC.

This was even verified by someone here on the forums... it's in a Custom Select thread.
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

All I know is my Last two custom Charvels are two of the nicest playing guitars I've ever owned..pure magic. So the Fender master builders can suck it..Shannon is still better at half the price..

Comment

• Originally posted by dg View Post
                      Also, I think the guitar-shaped Charvel logo is the coolest thing ever.
                      Hey Hey We're the Monkees...

Last edited by pianoguyy; 03-27-2015, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• OMG I never realized the logos are the same!

Comment

• Originally posted by daisp View Post
                          All I know is my Last two custom Charvels are two of the nicest playing guitars I've ever owned..pure magic. So the Fender master builders can suck it..Shannon is still better at half the price..
                          Yeah, the Charvels they're building now are the best they've ever built, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by dg View Post

I think he deserves a lot of credit for bringing the concept of upgrading and hotrodding guitars to the masses, which definitely helped create the demand for ready-made hotrodded guitars that Grover was able to take advantage of later.

Exactly +1

Comment

• Originally posted by jspeed View Post
                              Exactly +1
                              Possibly, the funny thing about that is, is that everyone here would agree with that. :p

Comment

• Yeah right.....

If Wayne Charvel’s reputation was anywhere near as bad as you haters want people to believe, then Grover must have been a total moron for buying the Charvel brand name and using it to build his business.

Comment

Working...
                                X