Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 model 3 pick up info

First post .

First of all, great site with a lot of knowledgeable gear heads . Very cool resource for these unique guitars .

Had the 1986 model 3 , serial # 245367 in my closet since high school . Black with black pick guard , HSS . Recently pulled it out and in the process of having it set up .

The pick ups are only labeled with Jackson foil stickers and they also say model 3 . That is it . I am pretty sure the single coils are j 100 's , but need some help identifying the humbucker . It has a black plastic cover with raised Jackson lettering in white . It is reading about 15.8 ohm"s of resistance on the ohm meter . Anyone have a clue what pick up that is ? J 50 , J 80, J 90 ?

Pretty sure it is not a J 50 because according to the pick up specs I found those will have about 9 ohms of resistance . ? . Could be wrong though . Still learning about all this stuff .

Kind of confusing because most of the pics I have seen online of 1986 model 3's have uncovered humbuckers. Just want to know what is in my guitar .

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

So far the set up is going ok. Only issues , couple small parts broken on the Khaler 2520 tremolo, 5 way switch was not working , and the middle pick up is not metering any resistance on the ohm meter . Luthier is sending out the middle pick up to be reapaired . He said the magnet went bad ? Told me a term for that but I forgot .. So , anyways , Cost of pick up repair $50 . Not sure if that is worth it for a J 100 ? Either way , it has been sent out for repair .

Looking forward to having this axe back in my quiver .

Total cost of set up and parts looking like $200 . Having my first guitar back and making ears bleed , priceless .
    Last edited by 86model3; 04-21-2015, 11:53 AM.

Degaussed

The 86 catalog had some early prototype pics including different knob layouts and uncovered pickups.

I thought I pulled a J80C out of my Model 3A but it might not have been original and I might be wrong. Either Way - cool guitar let's see some pics!
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Here is a picture .

Comment

Tried to add pics but I do not have permission yet . I guess after a few more posts ?

Comment

Should be able to link from photobucket, no? Ah well.. Post some more. Join the discussion!
          Blank yo!

Comment

Narrowed it down to a J90 pick up . Still not sure alnico or ceramic . Don't want to pull the cover off so I am having the luthier check the kHz output of the pick up . That will determine the model of pick up . I think. The J 90 ceramic should read about 4.88 kHz and the J 90 alnico should read about 4.70 kHz . That is based on the Jackson 1986 pick up specs from the catalogue . Will update tomorrow .

BTW , no numbers anywhere on my pick ups . Just the foil Jackson made in USA sticker and a separate sticker that says model 3 . On all three , HSS .

Feel like Sherlock Holmes . Ha

Comment

Eh, best option is to toss those Jackson pickups for some Duncans or Dimarzios or EMGs - IMO. I've never really liked the sound of them. Other pickuos have always sounded better in all my Model series guitars.
              Blank yo!

Comment

A regular Model 3 should have a J90C and two J100s. GT was also right about the 3A having J80 pickups in it.

Comment

Thanks for the reply . I was thinking it was gonna be a J90 Ceramic . I will confirm when I get back the kHz results from the luthier . I was hoping J 90 Alnico . I heard that was a better PUP . I play thrash.

Comment

the J90C pickup rips. try it and see.
                    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Working...
                    X