Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MIJ So Cal - which push-pull volume pot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIJ So Cal - which push-pull volume pot?

Yo.
    I just picked up a 2010-ish So Cal with the stock DiMarzios.
    I'd like to add a push-pull switch to tap the bridge pickup.
    Can anyone point me at a good quality replacement push-pull 250k pot that will fit without routing the body or mangling the guard?
    thanks!

i was thinking 250... why 500?

Comment

Preserves the high end. 250k for singles. 500k for humbuckers. General rule. Once you're comfortable with that you can then tune your preference
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by kenrothman View Post
        i was thinking 250... why 500?
        500K is stock in those guitars. If you like the way it sounds don't go to a 250K.

Comment

oh ok, for some reason i thought stock was 250

Comment

I though 250k was stock too. Pretty sure mine came with 250k. Regarding single coils. Why the 250k rule? What about an HS3 and HS4? What would a 500k do to them?
            You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Either will work. Use your ears to decide what's best. I have had both - 500k on singles and 250k or 350k on humbuckers. The general rule is based on what fender and Gibson originally installed and what the general status quo calls for. In general the higher value pots will allow more output through which is also heard as extra high end. You can even go up to a 1meg pot or no load if you feel it helps. It's a subtle difference to be sure.

Most of all make sure you use Quality CTS or bourns pots
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Oh OK. I thought it might spontaneously combust or something. Yeah I've experienced a 500k pot with a Duncan Distortion in Alder. Not nice. Horribly deafening in the shrillest way possible but not nice.

Comment

If your pickup is too bright, then go 250k. 500k will be a little brighter, and 1meg will be even brighter.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

YJM pot is on two week backorder and it's a 500k. Hope it sounds ok then eh. It's a basswood body and rosewood neck so fingers crossed.

Comment

A word to the wise. Don't buy the Dimarzio push pulls. Two problems I had with them: 1 - the hole for the volume pot is much larger than the shaft of the Dimarzio. 2 - they break after not much use (I've had 2 after a year or so just rotated freely).

I've replaced them with Bournes. MUCH better. The right sized shaft and the have a much higher quality feel to them.

cheers,
                      Ian

Comment

i ordered a 500k cts spst from stew mac. keeping it simple. went with the 500k to brighten it up a bit. i don't really care that much

Comment

Working...
                        X