Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '86-'87 Model 3A with Takeuchi TRS-101 and weird behind the nut lock

Hi all,

First post, not sure if I'll be able to link images, but I'll try to point you to them. I have been playing for ~35 years, and have owned several shredders over the years, but hadn't owned a Charvel till this past weekend, and now I own three (!!!).
    - A bone stock '90-ish metallic white 375 Deluxe

- An also '90-ish 375 Deluxe in trans red and two EMGs wired to a three ways switch with dummy (just the cover) middle pickup and the tone disconnected.

- And finally, the subject of this post/question, a model 3A with some weird features.

It's got two humbuckers, but the original Jackson pickups have been replaced by Seymour Duncan SH6's, which sound great, but when they did that, they changed to a 3-way, so I don't get any of the split positions, and the two knobs are now neck and bridge volume. I'd like to get a 5-way and at least get the in between positions back, though I'd like to do neck-neck and bridge inner coils - both - neck and bridge outer coils - bridge. Anyway, separate project.

Most of what I have learned about these guitars, I have learned from the Import Charvel site charvelusa.com/models.html.

According to what I've seen on there, this guitar with the Charvel/Jackson (R) logo probably is about '87, but also according to that site, it should have either a Kahler trem or a JT-6. This one has a Takeuchi TRS-101, a black (nylon?) nut, and a behind the nut clamp with slotted screw locks.
    Has anyone seen this setup on a Charvel from that time period before?
    Is there a good source for switches or other original electronics? I'm thinking of using a Super Switch if I can't find original stuff, or if I can't get the wiring combinations I want with the stock setup.

Thanks!

2 Maple board 375 deluxe? Damn. I want that white one!

To answer your questions:

-What you want to do with the wiring should be a breeze if you know what you're doing. Funny how they have the bridge model in the neck too but meh. I don't think they make the SH6 in anything but 4 conductor so you should be good there)
    -Another great source is http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/char...rt-guitars.php ...just scroll dont click the links, they 404 every time.

-Someone put that trem on, those never came stock with model series charvels AFAIK. The only stock one's I've seen are the JT-580 (http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...t.htm#jt580tak)
    -That nut is stock, whether it came with the Kahler or JT-6 they had those behind the nut ones. I believe they are zinc though. I recently replaced mine on my model 3 and 4 with the modern Kahler one. Much better imo.
    -Given the R on both the headstock and what looks to be the neckplate, I'm going to say it's an '88

Comment

Working...
    X