Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of removing the 6 pack of sound from my 2016

What's up everyone?
    I owned my 2016 Charvel San Dimas Hard Tail for a while now and the only thing I don't like about it is the 6 pack of sound. I'm NO single could player as I find the sound of single chile pickup's annoying and thin.
    On the 2016 models, you now have coil tapping and I don't like it at all. I have NO use for single coil sound but Love everything else about this model.
    So IF which is probably going to be when I re wire should I replace both Pots? The Push Pull volume control will no longer be needed but I do like the zero load tone pot. I actually use it now that I have it. I didn't think I'd miss a tone knob as in history I rarely ever use them but I found a use for it lately and like the added warmth when I dial it in. I actually found a position for both pickups to sound wonderful.

I'm also wondering when you do split coil wiring, do you lose something? Are the Pots 250k or 500k? Someone please teach me in the ways of coil tapping as this is the first guitar I have owned that has it.
    Also could I just modify the wiring to make both pickups work on the down position of the volume control like when you don't have coil tapping wiring? Currently when you have the volume control down in the middle blade position, you get the outter's of the the pickups, when the volume control is up you get the inner's. I hate the output loss when going to the middle position from a full hum bucker. It's totally annoying as I like the middle position on my 2013.

I think the position 2 inner/outer coil tap selection is a bit wonky. I'd prefer a more straightforward coil tap approach where volume down is neck hum + bridge hum (parallel), and volume up is neck tapped + bridge tapped (parallel as well). I'm sure this can be done. Then you could just leave the volume knob down at all times if you don't even use it. Perhaps somebody has the stock wiring diagram we can use as a starting point to hack up?

Comment

Yes it is and doesn't fall into place on the down volume control position. I think Charvel made a mistake in this configuration unless there is no other way to do it.

Comment

Working...
      X