Re-fret or new neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-fret or new neck?

My 89 375 Deluxe needs a refret as they're very worn.

However this is gonna cost me about the same amount as I can buy a newer Charvel neck off a MIJ guitar.

What do you guys think is the better option? Refret the old neck or get a newer one to swap it with?

Do a refret with stainless steel.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Select your fretwire carefully. Every refret I've had done, I wasn't satisfied with the result... even with Godlike status refret from Kamimoto.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

You can buy the fret wire cheap. Do you know you way around a tool shed? If so try the refret your self. if it turns out good you have learned something, if it turns out bad you can buy another neck. All the info and tools you could ever need are on the net. I have been doing my own now for awile. the first one was scary and wasn't perfect, I had to level the hell out of them to get it right, but I was proud to have done it myself. the second one was pretty good. the third one was just as good as what I had done by pros for $300.00.

Comment

unless you find a pristine example, a 'newer' neck will still have some fretwear. So you're only putting off the inevitable. If you like the neck, refret it & continue to enjoy it. As paranoid said, if you try it yourself and totally screw it beyond salvage, you're back to buying a newer neck

Or pay someone to do and have a favourite old neck with loads of fret life left on it
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            Do a refret with stainless steel.
            Completely agree. Stainless Steel are so much better and last much much longer. They also sound better in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
            X