Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Best production years" for Charvel Pro-Mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Best production years" for Charvel Pro-Mods?

I have never really been familiar with Charvels, and import Charvels less so.

The Pro-Mod Series caught my eye, but I vaguely remember them being Made in USA and having non-recessed OFRs (when exactly?). Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Am I right to gather that production moved to Japan (when?) and then Mexico (when?). Now we have recessed OFRs (2016?) and flatsawn necks (2016?) which strike the current Pro-Mods off my list.

Pre-2016, they didn't have the truss rod nut at the heel, correct? Where was it prior to 2016? I don't want to remove the neck to make truss rod adjustments. I always believed truss rod adjustments should be made when the neck is under string tension, but I might be in the minority.

Simply looking for an overall summary/history of these changes, if anyone has been keeping track. And, were any of these years considered the "best years" or "most sought after"? Or can I do better for an affordable non-recessed OFR mass-produced superstrat with great stock features, quartersawn neck, and high consistency/quality?

Please and thank you.
    Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 04-08-2016, 12:21 PM.

All Pro Mods have had the truss rod nut at the heel. I've got a few US made ones and had the neck and body modified for the wheel. It's a cheap mod ($5 part roughly $80 labor) and well worth it.

The US versions always had non-recessed Floyds. The Japanese versions started out like that and eventually switched to recessed versions.

They're all good guitars but I'll only buy the US ones because I'm a snob like that. If a Charvel isn't made in the US I don't want to own.

Some folks say the Japanese versions had better fret work but that's an easy thing to improve upon with a setup. I love all of mine and they make a great platform for customizing.

If you're patient you can get US Pro Mods for about the same price as the new MiMs or a little more.

Comment

Matt_B, thank you! Would you happen to know what years production switched from USA to Japan, and then Japan to Mexico? And what year the USA Pro-Mods debuted?

Were the retail prices consistent through the years? Or was there a corresponding drop in price from USA to Japan to Mexico? I'd be sort of disgruntled if the price went up as the production costs went down.

Will be patient for a USA one. No rush.

Thanks again!

Comment

I don't remember the USA versions being out for that long, maybe only 2 years? So 2008-09 ish? I want to say street price was around the $1000-1200 range.

MIJ would have then been 2009-2012 as Chushin Gakki closed down around then. The price dropped down under a grand when they made the switch. ~$800 maybe?

Which would leave MIM as 2013+. I don't think there was a price change when that happened. The first Mexico versions definitely did not have the easy access truss rod wheel or flatsawn necks.

Comment

I have played many all through the years and thought the 2013 models where excellent. Then the 2016 models came out and IMO I think they are the best Pro Mod's ever.
          Sound and feel are top notch not to mention the array of new colors. Charvel hit it out of the park this year and I strongly suggest you go check them out.

Comment

Working...
          X