Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quality of USA vs Japan vs Mexico Pro-Mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality of USA vs Japan vs Mexico Pro-Mods?

As many of you might have realized, I've been exploring Pro-Mods.

Seeing as I've only played one used Japanese one locally and no other stores carry Charvel, I don't have much first hand experience.

Other than 2016 Mexican Pro-Mods having flatsawn necks with graphite reinforcement, were there any other complaints about the whole Pro-Mod line? I imagine people were quite happy in 2008 when they debuted as Made in USA, but were there cries of protest when they moved production to the Japanese Chushin Gakki plant (even with their great reputation in J/C history)? Was there an outcry when production moved from Japan to Mexico?

Thanks. Just trying to learn some history and hear some thoughts as I make my way through the forum backwards in time.

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
    As many of you might have realized, I've been exploring Pro-Mods.

Seeing as I've only played one used Japanese one locally and no other stores carry Charvel, I don't have much first hand experience.

Other than 2016 Mexican Pro-Mods having flatsawn necks with graphite reinforcement, were there any other complaints about the whole Pro-Mod line? I imagine people were quite happy in 2008 when they debuted as Made in USA, but were there cries of protest when they moved production to the Japanese Chushin Gakki plant (even with their great reputation in J/C history)? Was there an outcry when production moved from Japan to Mexico?

Thanks. Just trying to learn some history and hear some thoughts as I make my way through the forum backwards in time.
    NOTP - I've been along for the ride from the beginning of the USA Pro Mod series and have played the USA's, MIJ's and MIMs (to include 2016). I also have a killer custom shop SD 1 to compare. I can tell you that the MIJ SD's that I played had a slightly different neck profile from the USA's I played or own. They did have a bit more attention to detail in construction and the fret ends seemed to be dressed better - and even though I played one for about an hour in a Sam Ash there was something that the USA's had over it (maybe I was USA snob) but looking back they are great guitars. If a MIJ and an MIA were both offered to me in the same condition and price, I'd still go USA.

The MIM's started recessing the Floyd's which some guys don't care for - doesn't bother me either way. My early MIM's are good guitars - not great guitars. On the other hand, I can tell you that the new MIM 2016 neck profile, finish and feel are very close to my custom shop, so they fixed it and got it right.

If they were to bring back the USA Pro Mod styling (so no tone knob and a top mounted floyd) with the same neck and offered the old finishes I'd be all over it. Even so, I'll be adding a '16 hardtail even though I have 2 HTs already (MIJ & MIM '14).

Comment

I think that Charvel got it right with the MIM's. Love the recessed Floyds, moved the volume knob where it should be, no load tone knob, coil split, and FINALY put a truss-rod wheel on them! Who ever thought that it was a good idea that you have to take the neck off for an adjustment ought to be FIRED!!
      "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

Great Comments above about the Pro Mod's over the years. I'll give a bit of my take without trying to repeat what's already been said.

The MIJ models where not my cup of tea. I hated the Dimarizo pickups in the So Cal and also hated at that time the Top Mounted Floyd Rose. I'm a Jackson Guy first back then and I loved the Hell out of my brand new SL3 2005 and 2006 Models, Yes I had both and they changed the 2006 model with Black Hard ware and a Real Floyd Rose.

Then the MIM's came out and 2013 and I had no where to go play them.Sam Ash didn't carry them on the floor no more as well as all the places around me. I was sad and didn't get to play one until 2014 when I guy purchased like 5 guitars from Sam Ash in Kin of Prussia and returned a few as he favorited his American Made Strat , he was a Rock player not Metal so it made sense for him but he wanted to give the Charvel a run.
        I just so happen to call them in 2014 right after dude returned basically a brand new 2013 MIM San Dimas Hard tail in Red. I wanted a White first then Red was my second choice but I never played one.
        I went up to check it out and took it home after playing it for awhile. I fell in love with the neck and the overall feel of the guitar. I didn't like the single coil neck position but the JB in the Bridge and the feel of this guitar sold me.
        I replaced the Single coil with a Lil 59 and brought balance to the world once again.
        I feel the 2013 MIM guitars as I found another shop that carries them are amazing. they play so damn well, feel so right and the quality is on par at the $899 retail price. Nothing at all wrong with them at this price point. I usually don't bother with Guitars under $1000.00 as I have played to many stinkers. But these Pro Mod's are wonderful , have good quality hardware and feel so right.
        When Charvel Announced the 2016 models, they released every single thing I wanted in a new Hard Tail. I was floored they added EVERYTHING I wanted. I f I built a custom shop Hard Tail it would be exactly like the 2016 offerings.
        I found a place In south NJ that got a bunch of the 2016's in and I went down there to play them. The problem with these new ones is EVERY SINGLE MODEL is badass. The new necks are even better despite the Half Sawn spec. They feel much better to me then the 2012 MIJ and the 2013 MIM models. It's been to long since I owned my 1985 Model 3a so I don't recall how good that neck was but I did love it back then over everything else I ever owned.

The 2016 models are the damn BOMB, I'm gonna get at least 3 or 4 more. I picked up the White Hard Tail but I wanted to buy 3 of them the day I was playing them. I will own the Tobacco Burst , the White So Cal and the Blu Hard Tail.

Comment

I purchased a 2013 MIM San Dimas hard tail for $280 a few weeks back and I will say this.......I would gladly pay full asking price. The only draw back is the truss rod placement. Why would anyone think to do that?! Its a good thing I get my guitars set up by a pro often. All in all I love the neck, sound, feel, look of this guitar.

Comment

I never tried the USA models, but had a nice Jap Promod. I really liked that guitar and wish they were still making them. I've heard the MIM were nice too, but my favorite of all are the model series from the 80s.

Comment

I played 2 USA's and thought they were great guitars.
              Then I played an MIJ and I bought it.

After reading all of the great reviews.... I'm scared to play a new MIM, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Crude View Post
                my favorite of all are the model series from the 80s.
                Model series?
                Did somebody say model series? lol

Comment

Originally posted by GrimRiffer View Post
                  I purchased a 2013 MIM San Dimas hard tail for $280 a few weeks back and I will say this.......I would gladly pay full asking price. The only draw back is the truss rod placement. Why would anyone think to do that?! Its a good thing I get my guitars set up by a pro often. All in all I love the neck, sound, feel, look of this guitar.
                  I don't like the bridge String Height adjustment screws that dig right into your palm other then that I totally agree, it's a killer sounding and playing guitar once you get rid of that stupid crappy don't belong ass wipe stinky neck position pickup and replace it with a Lil59.

Comment

Originally posted by jspeed View Post
                    I played 2 USA's and thought they were great guitars.
                    Then I played an MIJ and I bought it.

After reading all of the great reviews.... I'm scared to play a new MIM, lol
                    I strongly suggest NOT playing a new 2016 model UNLESS your will to own 3 or more of them. They are FANTASTIC!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                      I don't like the bridge String Height adjustment screws that dig right into your palm other then that I totally agree, it's a killer sounding and playing guitar once you get rid of that stupid crappy don't belong ass wipe stinky neck position pickup and replace it with a Lil59.
                      That is my intention!

Comment

Model series?

Wow, this^
                        Last edited by Texas Crude; 05-04-2016, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                          I strongly suggest NOT playing a new 2016 model UNLESS your will to own 3 or more of them. They are FANTASTIC!!!!!
                          You're killing me, lol

I just bought two 2014 American Stratocaster 60th anniversary commemorative editions in the past week; my ol lady already wants to cut my nutz off, lol

Gonna have to wait until the ebay "butchers" start selling the 2016 Charvel necks for my 2013 hardtail. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Crude View Post
                            Model series?

Wow, this^
                            Thanks,

That's my M2 I got from the original "Blackfoot" bass player.

It's a badd mofo, has a Gotoh Floyd with a big 42mm brass block, J95-Alnico pup and now sporting a brass nut too.
                            It sustains for days Bro, lol

Comment

I've had 9 Pro Mods:
                              MIA Slime Green SD1
                              MIA White SD1
                              MIA Tangerine SoCal
                              MIA Black SD2
                              MIA Purple SD2
                              MIJ Primer Wildcard SD
                              MIJ Blue Wildcard SD
                              MIJ Blue SoCal
                              MIJ Red CoCal
                              ...and like the MIJ ones the most. Quality on them is better than the USA built guitars- though I had a powder blue MIJ socal and the body wood was dead . As pointed out, the fret ends were dressed better and rolled just a bit more. As for differences, The MIJ and a different tint to the neck color. Also, my Primer grey San Dimas has a slightly different neck profile than some of my other Pro Mods.

I had a chance to play the MIM pro mods and didn't like their overall feel- don't know why. I also hate floating trems with a passion- They're hard to tune and I change tunings a lot, and break a string every so often, so...

I haven't played the 2016 pro mods yet. Thank god they moved the truss rod adjustment. What a PITA it is to have to take the neck off to adjust the truss rod. Why don't the guitars come with a tremol-no?

I played the Warren DiMartini Pro Mod and thought it was fine, if a little on the expensive side. The neck shape was different than the standard Pro Mods. The Snakeskin finish was cool.

Also, while technically not a promod, the Jackson Adrin Smith SDX is a great guitar and VERY similar to a promod in terms of feel.

Comment

Working...
                              X