Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quality of USA vs Japan vs Mexico Pro-Mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't speak as to the usa or mij models, but I own a 16 pro mod san dimas and love it!! I have a MIA strat and the neck on the san dimas is outstanding, satin finish, slimmer than my strat, slightly more of a D profile IMO. Pickups are great, so many combinations make it really versatile. I like the recessed floyd because I use it both ways, but as far as fit and finish, its certainly on par with my strat. I highly recommend checking one out if you have access to play one.

Comment

I keep rereading this thread repeatedly and glean new things every time I look at it again. I've learned the following very counter-intuitive findings:

-USA guitars were fine
      -Japanese guitars might possibly have been better (frets dressed better, fretboard edges rolled more nicely)
      -First Mexican guitars were OK
      -2016 Mexican guitars surprised many people by "getting it right"

You have noticed another thread I started about buying a Japanese Wild Card #4 (http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/149...se)-Yay-or-nay) and being on the fence about it. Today I saw a local classified ad offering a USA SoCal (my best guess is between 2008 to 2010) with case for CAD$850 and the only thing stopping me is that I'm currently out of town. Despite the general consensus in the above posts about Japanese Pro Mods possibly being better than the American ones, I feel like the USA SoCal would be a better buy than the Japanese Wild Card #4. Obviously I'll have to see the SoCal in person first before jumping to conclusions...

Comment

Sorry, I’ve been under a rock since ‘07. After owning and gigging with just 1 electric for the last 10+ years, my tried and true Fusion Deluxe, I just bought both the 2016 San Dimas MIM trans purple Floyd AND tobacco Floyd, both online for $600 each.

I have high expectations of these and hope I’m not disappointed. Hopefukly MIM has come a long way for Fender since the gloppy neck finishes and sprouting frets.

The tone control bypass thingy seems like a cool trick, though I’ll probably never roll it back from 10 anyway. A second knob does make the guitar look more mature.

The pickup settings seem pretty versatile, and I’m especially curious about how it’ll sound clean. Can anyone tell me whether that middle position with the inner coils is as loud as the bridge and neck alone?
        Last edited by sysin; 08-11-2018, 11:48 AM.

Comment

I've got a MIM ProMod SoCal that I've modded a bit. I can't remember the year but it is at least 5 years old not (in 2018). It does not have the truss wheel and it has the one volume knob. The truss wheel is a bit of a pain in the ass. I don't understand why that was even a thought. I don't even change the setting much at all as I just keep the action up and don't worry about the tiny fret buzz. It's still stupid. I think I prefer the single knob though.
          I had to sand and oil the neck a bit and dress the frets. I used some wax on the fret board. Installed two white Duncan PUs and dumped the SDs as they were super hot and didn't have a lot of harmonics which I think this guitar is really missing. Suffed the control cover with foam and blocked the trem so it only drops. It a pretty rocking guitar now.

I was looking for a red one which is what brought be back here. I'm glad I found a place that documents the changes. I think I may just got for a Warmoth parts monster and get exactly what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by Donovan View Post
            I've got a MIM ProMod SoCal that I've modded a bit. I can't remember the year but it is at least 5 years old not (in 2018). It does not have the truss wheel and it has the one volume knob. The truss wheel is a bit of a pain in the ass. I don't understand why that was even a thought. I don't even change the setting much at all as I just keep the action up and don't worry about the tiny fret buzz. It's still stupid. I think I prefer the single knob though.
            I had to sand and oil the neck a bit and dress the frets. I used some wax on the fret board. Installed two white Duncan PUs and dumped the SDs as they were super hot and didn't have a lot of harmonics which I think this guitar is really missing. Suffed the control cover with foam and blocked the trem so it only drops. It a pretty rocking guitar now.

I was looking for a red one which is what brought be back here. I'm glad I found a place that documents the changes. I think I may just got for a Warmoth parts monster and get exactly what I want.
            Own one guitar with the truss adjustment at the heel of the neck and no wheel and come back and post about how much of a pain in the ass it is . Taking the neck off the guitar isn't a huge deal for me as I've done it plenty, especially my guitar with no wheel and a truss adjustment at the heel, but I don't think most average guitar players would feel comfortable. Add a floyd rose into the combination and it adds probably a half hour to my setup time in total. Truss wheel makes the adjustments in seconds. And if I feel like it needs a small tweak, it still only takes seconds. No reason to deal with low or high action if you don't have to!

Comment

When you drive 500 miles from one gig to the next, and the weather conditions require a quick 1/4 turn of the truss rod....
              It seems like overkill to need to take a neck off to make an adjustment.

Comment

Working...
              X