1986 Model 2 Identification Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 Model 2 Identification Help

Hi everybody I'm new to the board and want some input on a recent 1986 Model 2 I purchased a few weeks ago. The history I was given on this particular guitar is interesting. It came from California and the seller said that the guitar was originally purchased from an employee at the San Dimas factory who had assembled it there and it was his personal guitar. It gets more interesting in that this guitar does not have the typical Forth Worth MIJ neck plate. The seller was told by the original owner that employee guitars at the San Dimas factory often did not receive serial number neck plates.

Anyway I thought it was an interesting story. The seller did not misrepresent this guitar to me as a "Made in USA" they only stated that it was a MIJ assembled in San Dimas by a factory employee. At some time in its life it was retrofitted with a Kahler 2700.

Are there any specific things I could look for on the guitar to learn more about the history? Are there any other specific areas which might have a serial number, etc?

Thanks I'm just learning about Charvels!

looks typycal MIJ. get the humb out and check whats on the other side of the pickup. disonnect the neck from the body and you might find a stamp. if there is a stamp, - another proof that it is MIJ, otherwise post more pics.
    good guitar, good tremolo, nice choise. I have similar, but mapple fretbord.

Comment

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1986...item210561e30f example of stamp

Comment

Really nice.

Comment

+1
            That is a very nice 1986 M2, I would just find an original MIJ Charvel neck plate with a low serial # and be done.

The tremolo you have there is very rare, in fact most 1986 Charvel suck because of the tremolos, but you've got the good one on yours.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Comment

I don't buy it (the story).
                I can't speak for Charvel 1986 in Japan, but today it would be rather odd to have a manufacturer send an uncompleted guitar to someone - even if he was an employee. It would make more sense that someone took the parts themselves (possibly for quality control?) while touring the factory. But by the time the Model 2 came out, it would been assembled in Ontario, not San Dimas.

Comment

Working...
                X