Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 2 or 275 Deluxe?

Hi All,

here I go again with a "vs" in order to decide which toy to take home this time!
    I am absolutely in love with the 475 Deluxe - Exotic i got recently so I thought to give a look to the other guitars in that line.
    How does the 275 differ (besides the obvious pickup configuration) from the 475?

1 - Charvel 275 Deluxe (I think it's cherry red) - 200 EUR - Claimed 1994 or 1995

PRO - I love the 475 so maybe this is similiar, the slant pickup makes me curious
    CON - I already have a Model 4 and a Model 5 in the same color

2 - Charvel Model 2 (Burgundy) - 330 EUR - Claimed 1988

PRO - I like the clean looks of the model 2, and the simplicity of the single pickup (never tried one). Color is quite unlikely to find
    CON - More expensive, a couple of dings in the paint

Thanks for your input!
    Creating a Guitar Telegram Group (in English) Guitar Telegram Group

Biggest difference; 275 is a Dinky, while M2 is a full size strat. Both are basswood, and should have a J90C bridge pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
      Biggest difference; 275 is a Dinky, while M2 is a full size strat. Both are basswood, and should have a J90C bridge pickup.

Thanks.
      Do they use the same bridge?

Comment

no.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the 275 should have the JT570 (as it's a 1990-91 by the pickups) but if older it could use the JT-6, while the model 2 should use a JT-6.

Comment

According to http://charvelusa.com/charvel_models...1990_1991.html, the JT570 bridge on the 275 Deluxe is single-locking. That alone is enough to dissuade me from aggressively using the tremolo. That link will also list the specifications of the 475 Deluxe Exotic for comparison.

That Model 2 looks like it has a JT6 which would make it a 1987, 1988, or 1989 model: http://charvelusa.com/charvel_models...87_models.html (but not a 1986 because those had a Kahler). If you're a tremolo user, I imagine being more satisfied with this double-locking system.

Comment

Can't comment on the 275 Deluxe but after fixing up a Model 2 a couple of years ago I found myself reaching for it more than anything else on my wall. I love the simplicity.

Comment

I've owned both..

The 275 is a nice guitar, but the tremolo kinda sucks. Its not a locking bridge, ball ends pop thru when you dive. Other than that the guitar is Gakki quality.

The Model 2 is great, I would personally get it 1st, if it were in good shape.
                Very hard to beat a Model 2.

Comment

I'd get the Model 2, but the 275 will be better if you swap out the single-locking Floyd to a regular Schaller or Floyd Rose II. Or you could even just swap out the saddles for Schallers to be double-locking.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My older 275 has a straight pickup in the bridge, likely because the chrome JT-6 has narrower string spacing than most OFRs?

The neck pickup was routed for a hum, so I don't know if it was a slant single but I think it was.

Mine has a locking nut instead of a string lock.

Comment

Originally posted by G37-R34DY View Post
                      If I'm not mistaken, the 275 should have the JT570 (as it's a 1990-91 by the pickups) but if older it could use the JT-6, while the model 2 should use a JT-6.
                      you didn't check the 3rd option. charvel model 2 limited edition 1986 with the black neck and original soft case.
                      Charvel model 2. ??????, ????????????? ??????, ??????? ?? 800$. ??? ??? ?????

shipping from eastern europe would take time and a little bit of money. but the price is good: 300usd only.
                      the 4th option is charvel mod 3 - 270usd with the soft case.
                      Charvel model 3. ??????, ????????????? ??????, ??????? ?? 800$. ??? ??? ?????

peace. pm if necessary. guitars are mine.
                      Last edited by ykrop4ik; 08-13-2016, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        My older 275 has a straight pickup in the bridge, likely because the chrome JT-6 has narrower string spacing than most OFRs?

The neck pickup was routed for a hum, so I don't know if it was a slant single but I think it was.

Mine has a locking nut instead of a string lock.
                        Here's my 89 275 with a MIJ Primer Scream neck.
                        Straight humbucker mount with the single slanted.
                        The stock J100 single is a pretty decent pickup.
                        The J90C that was in it is long gone.

IMG_3427.jpg
                        Last edited by rjohnstone; 08-13-2016, 12:51 PM.
                        -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                          Here's my 89 275 with a MIJ Primer Scream neck.
                          Straight humbucker mount with the single slanted.
                          The stock J100 single is a pretty decent pickup.
                          The J90C that was in it is long gone.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9178[/ATTACH]
                          Looks good. just picked up one of those necks myself.
                          Word on the street was those old J100 pups were re-branded SD's

Comment

It is a real shame some one would be head a primmer scream! body is not much different then the straight bridge pick up model 275 except for the neck pick up angle.

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
                              It is a real shame some one would be head a primmer scream! body is not much different then the straight bridge pick up model 275 except for the neck pick up angle.
                              This neck had the headstock snapped off of it.
                              Previous owner didn't know how to fix it, so I picked it up cheap. He kept the body.
                              The headstock is solid now. Some Titebond II and a few clamps and it's good as new.
                              -Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X