Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My second San Dimas Tobacco burst, a parts build...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My second San Dimas Tobacco burst, a parts build...

Hi guys,

I've had my tobacco burst San Dimas since March. With a bit of TLC and a severely needed proper setup the guitar plays great. A total shred machine.

I had been considering getting anther San dimas, preferably a Red burst, because that is my second choice of preferred finishes, when I found a tobacco burst body for sale online. I snatched it up along with a neck, etc. online All at very reasonable prices. I've been slowly 'piecing' it together for a bit over a month now.

It's almost done.
    I figured I would share this with the JCF online community.

Because I already had a stock tobacco burst I decided to go in a different direction with hardware color, ie: black.

The guitar would be finished except for the neck pickup I was shipped arrived with Long legs,(rides far to high). So the kind folks at Seymour Duncan let me ship it to thier Custom shop for a base refitting, it's on the way to them as of this morning.

Here's the specs and some pics below:

1: Body, neck, electronics, tuning machines: from stock 2016 San Dimas

2: Nut and String tension bar: Floyd Rose original series, R3 nut.

3: Bridge and studs: Floyd rose Korean built floyd, taken from a 2008 San dimas.(I ordered original series studs in Black nickel, but I think the black just looks better).

4: Floyd trem arm: I believe this is a schaller arm,(it does not have the protruding pole piece protruding from the center near the threads), and I prefer it to the stock arm that came with my san dimas, It's much less "wiggley" when screwed onto the bridge.

5: Pickups: Bridge, Seymour Duncan RTM Trembucker, (this is the Warren Demartini sig pickup), black, 4 conductor, with logo. ( I had this pickup on hand and was going to use it in a super strat build, prior to buying my first San Dimas.
    Neck, Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59 Model Humbucker Neck Pickup BLACK 4 Conductor with Logo - SH-1n

Few notes:
    I originally intended to put a Gotoh ge1996t floyd in the guitar that I had on hand, ( I have 4 other guitars with this bridge and it really is a phenomenal bridge), as luck would have it the one I have has as 40 mm block, that is far to long to fit in the San dimas cavity. Rather than purchase a new block, I found the take off black floyd, with a 34mm block, (2mm longer than my stock san dimas floyd), for a reasonable price and gave it a shot. Incidentally the 34mm block fits without issue, and I have my floyd set deep into the cavity for a low shred action set up.

I may swap out the bridge for either a German made floyd, or Gotoh, depends on how stable this bridge turns out to be, I'll either go with black or (cosmo black/Black nickel). although right now I like how the black vibe works.

Out of the box, my first san dimas was not set up for shred, it was intonated properly. The action was set far to high, requiring the studs to be lowered truss rod adjustment, etc...
    I took one of the 3 springs out of the cavity in order to introduce more stutter into the floyd equation, resulting in an obvious claw adjustment etc...

Also the neck, and nut needed to be tightened substantially. This is poor quality control in my opinion. This resulted in the floyd Never returning to proper pitch after using it rendering the guitar useless. I have noticed many returns of these guitars from a few online vendors and can only assume many folks were not happy with the stock guitar. Had I not known how to do the maintenance on my guitar, I too would have been unsatisfied.
    With all that said the guitars are a great value once the kinks are ironed out and it has a proper set up. That's after all, why I decided to do this 'Parts-caster' build.

Cheers,

Tom

Cool. I like the look of the black hardware with that.

Comment

Very informative write-up and beautiful guitar! How much was the total cost for everything? Where did you source all the components?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyryche View Post
        Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
        Very informative write-up and beautiful guitar! How much was the total cost for everything? Where did you source all the components?

Thanks guys, really appreciate the positive comments.

Ok, price: I got some of these items for rock bottom prices, I just got lucky, plain and simple. From ebay, floyd rose.com, and I had some items on hand. The most expensive item was the neck fyi, and by a very large margin.

Keep in mind my original intention was to use my gotoh bridge, which would bring the total cost down 100.00 as well.

Total cost including shipping, just under 500.00, (this does not include the very expensive, (for a pickup anyway), RTM I had on hand, I would have never put an RTM in this if I did not have it on hand, it's Warren DeMarini's "flavor" of a JB, and the one I have is black and logo'd already so it fit the build perfectly too.

It would have been under 400 if my gotoh's block would have fit too, I also could have just ordered another block and not got the black floyd, but I decided black hardware was important on this one. On the plus side I still have a gotoh ready to go in the next one =).

Also there is a premium to be paid for the custom shop neck sh-1n 59 with the logo on it, I could have gone with non logo'd pickups, but I wanted to capture the same vibe as the stock san dimas with the logo'd pickups, to capture that "factory stock" look.
        I also paid a premium for the "original" floyd rose nut, string tension bar, and studs. Not much more, but I did. =)

I also wanted to mention that I was able to purchase the actual neck mounting plate with serial number that goes with the neck and body, I bought all three from the same seller. I thought that was awesome! The guitar looks completely factory stock, but with the black hardware and black pickups.

After all was said and done, I was able to get this guitar up and ready for less than even the lowest priced "Customer Return' 2016 San Dimas guitars from the big online venders, and I was able to "deck it out" exactly how I wanted to. If you add the cost of the RTM it still comes in at a lower price than the "Customer Return" models.

Thanks again for the postive vibes guys!

Cheers,

Tom

Comment

Any time when you can spend less than retail is great. The fact that you came out at the end of a fun month-long project with a guitar that is tweaked to your preferences is awesome. Thanks for the breakdown!

Comment

What did you do with the Smoke Hardware? Or was this just a parts buy, I'm a bit confused.

Comment

Love that color, and it works great with the black hardware!
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyryche View Post
                Originally posted by mantis View Post
                What did you do with the Smoke Hardware? Or was this just a parts buy, I'm a bit confused.
                Originally posted by toejam View Post
                Love that color, and it works great with the black hardware!

Mantis,

The smoke hardware is still on my Original San Dimas that I purchased in march. This is a new parts build.
                I have 2 tobacco bursts now. I'll post a pic of both of them side by side tomorrow.

Johnny and Toejam ,

Thanks for the compliments, I really like it too!

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                Any time when you can spend less than retail is great. The fact that you came out at the end of a fun month-long project with a guitar that is tweaked to your preferences is awesome. Thanks for the breakdown!
                Number,

Completely agree with you on that and you're welcome! Glad to post the breakdown also.

Cheers,

Tom
                Last edited by ZeroFiveFour; 08-23-2016, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Sweet man, I love the shit out of the Tobacco burst finish. I want to pick one up myself. Wish they offered one in the Hard Tail version.

Comment

that finish looks great with the maple board & black hardware
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Sweet man, I love the shit out of the Tobacco burst finish. I want to pick one up myself. Wish they offered one in the Hard Tail version.
                      Agree!

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                      that finish looks great with the maple board & black hardware
                      Thanks!

Here is a couple pics of both of the tobacco bursts together:

Cheers,

Tom

Comment

Looks killer. Great to be able to pull that guitar together for that price. I know what I'll end up searching around for late at night now...

Comment

I'm loving both looks. the Black chrome is killer and the Zebra while not being one of my personal favorites really works in that guitar. On the other hand the black hardware and pickups look totally killer. I'd have a hard time which way I would want mine.

I absolutely plan on picking up a new Tobacco Burst.

Comment

Originally posted by feraledge View Post
                            Looks killer. Great to be able to pull that guitar together for that price. I know what I'll end up searching around for late at night now...
                            Feraledge,

Thanks for the compliments. I agree, the price was nice. I just got lucky with finding the parts at the prices that I did. It really was what motivated me to do the parts caster. I would have just bought another ProMod off the shelf if I had not found the parts online priced as they were. Good luck with your future parts build

I'm loving both looks. the Black chrome is killer and the Zebra while not being one of my personal favorites really works in that guitar. On the other hand the black hardware and pickups look totally killer. I'd have a hard time which way I would want mine.

I absolutely plan on picking up a new Tobacco Burst.
                            Mantis, as always thanks for the compliments. I agree, it is hard for me to decide which of the two I like better. For now, I love both of them

I received the pickup back from Seymour Duncan with the proper short legs, (they provided very fast service FYI), and it is now mounted. Looks great. I'll try to post a pic of it in the next few days.

Cheers,

Tom

Comment

Working...
                            X