Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of paint did Charvel use on the Primer Scream scream guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of paint did Charvel use on the Primer Scream scream guitars?

Have a Primer Scream #7 neck and want to paint a San Dimas body with the same grey finish.
    I got a paint code from Fender #899

Does anyone know what paint brand Charvel used?

I don't know the type, but there is no clear or lacquer over it, it will get shinny where you rub it. Feels like actual primmer instead of paint.

Comment

I would have thought just a base coat and then a matte clear finish. But since it's called primer scream, perhaps not.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Well, they only info I could get from Fender was polyester primer, other than that they're pretty much worthless at customer support.

In fact, after a bunch of calls to different departments I got the same BS.

It pissed me off so much that I just got another complete Primer Scream guitar.
        When I get in and have a chance I'll take it to an auto body paint supply house and get the exact paint code.
        I'll let you'll know what it is, in case any of you want to duplicate the look, screw Fender and their top secret bullshite! lol

Comment

That is one creative excuse for getting another guitar! And there's nothing wrong with that either!

Congratulations. This finish is starting to grow on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
            That is one creative excuse for getting another guitar! And there's nothing wrong with that either!

Congratulations. This finish is starting to grow on me.
            Lol, Wasn't really looking for a Primer Scream guitar to begin with, picked up the neck thinking I'd just paint a body to match, but since the people at Fender were such A-holes about their "top secret f-ing primer", I just decided WTF, I'll buy a whole guitar, match the color code so everyone can have it, if they want.

The thing that pissed me off the most about talking to the jerkoffs at fender is they don't even sell any paint, for none of their guitars and at the same time, refuse to tell customers WTFing colors are.

Sorry about the rant, but fender made my shit list this past week. lol

Comment

no doubt most big companies could care less about you repairing or maintaining a product you bought as long as they made money selling it to you to begin with! thank god you can still deal with some small business that cares! but the way the world is going all Amazon, google, face book, it may not be for long!

Comment

That sucks. I remember when these first came out and thought it was a throw back guitar - meaning I thought they were producing a "basic" guitar for the consumer to customize without stripping or refinishing. I guess I was wrong. Your idea of taking it to an automotive or Motorcyle shop would be a good idea. You might want to call Mike Learn or Lee Garver at GMW. Those guys are pretty knowlegeable in all thing Charvel/Jackson. Let us know what you find.

Comment

When I was trying to color match paint for a pickup ring, I took the neck down to Home Depot and found a can of Rustoleum primer that was damn near a perfect match.
                  Need to see if I still have it.

I was going to paint the whole body to match, but would rather have that done with real paint and not a rattle can.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by rjohnstone; 08-29-2016, 10:33 AM.
                  -Rick

Comment

Errrm....not to take away from you NGD enthusiasm, but couldn't you have done the same with the neck only, instead of buying a guitar?
                    Take the neck to the auto body shop and have them match the headstock color?
                    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
                      Errrm....not to take away from you NGD enthusiasm, but couldn't you have done the same with the neck only, instead of buying a guitar?
                      Take the neck to the auto body shop and have them match the headstock color?
                      Very true, I was actually gonna do that today Monday, but it was late Friday night and when a whole guitar became available, I figured... screw it, I'm buying it, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                        When I was trying to color match paint for a pickup ring, I took the neck down to Home Depot and found a can of Rustoleum primer that was damn near a perfect match.
                        Need to see if I still have it.

I was going to pain the whole body to match, but would rather have that done with real paint and not a rattle can.
                        I'll try to let you know what the exact color code is, once I get it.

Comment

Originally posted by jspeed View Post
                          I'll try to let you know what the exact color code is, once I get it.
                          Thanks... appreciate it.
                          -Rick

Comment

Working...
                          X