Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nyxl strings

Hello everyone,
    I have strung up my 2016 Charvels as well as my 2013. I gotta tell you this is the first all universal kind of string I have ever tried. They kinda sound great on everything I put them on. I put them on my Jackson SL3 and man they sound fantastic.
    Right out of the package they have this unusual broken in type sound. They are not as bright or crisp if you will like most other strings you buy which seem to lose that luster quickly.
    So far these NYXL's sound the same even after about a month playing them. I typically use 9-42's but I decided to switch back to 10-46. I do this all the time as I like things about both gauges. The 9's are just a breeze to play while the 10's seem to have just a tab better tone and less Buzz or none at all really.

I know the NYXL's are a bit more per pack then most other brands but I'm starting to think they are worth every penny full retail. They stay in tune for a long time , They retail the same sound out of the package at least so far I have not a change in tone yet.

I'm a huge DL TITE fit string user. I love those strings since my first pack a few years ago. I have tried tons of different strings over the last few years as I kinda went on a string quest. Tried and true Fender strings are always my go to but these NYXL's are proving they might be the ones for the rest of my life.
    They are comfortable to play and really nice sounding. I can't think of any more I need out of a set of guitar strings.

Yeah, man, I string my SL3 with the NYXL 10-46, and they sound wonderful.
    I have been using them for about 2 years now, and won't put anything else on that one.
    I get them much cheaper on Ebay and buy several sets if I can get a discount.
    You are right, those suckers stay in tune!
    --------------------------------
    1996 Fender Stratocaster - Jimmie Vaughan Tex-Mex
    2006 Jackson Soloist SL3
    Ampeg SS-140C
    Line 6 Spider IV

Comment

FWIW, by brother in law, who has always been a proponent of buying whatever is on sale, now swears by these. Says they sound great for a long, long time. I'm going to try some after my current stockpile runs out.

Comment

These strings are hands down the best I've used. I can now say that as they have been on for about 2 months now, played every day at lease 30 mins to an hour or more each day.
        Some Key points here.
        1) They hold tune better then any other string I've tried. No they don't stay in perfect tune but they stay closer to perfect tune better. Other strings I have to tune after a few songs as they slightly go out. These bad boys I can play the entire time and they stay right in tune. Pretty damn good.
        2) Feel - they are not abrasive like some strings are and they are also not like coated strings that feel to smooth. They have a wonderful balance of texture and grace unlike all other strings I've tried. I'm loving how they feel.
        3) Sound quality is exactly the same as when I put them on. They still after a month sound fresh. Whats really cool about them is out of the box they don't have that crazy super bright sharpe tone like most strings have and then mellow out over time before they sound worn out. It's like you get this small window on many strings where they sound just right. These damn things have that 'just right" tone out of the box and keep it well for at least 2 months now. I love how they sound.
        4) Response is awesome. You can hear everything you do with clarity and quietness. What I mean is each string is clear and defined. You can hear everything even with high distortion on. Playing clean is a dream as you really get lost in your playing then trying to figure out if you like the strings or not.
        5) They sound incredible on every guitar I put them on. Yes I now have just about all my guitars strung with them. I plan on doing them all now. So far all of my guitars sound their best and feel their best with the NYXL's on them. What I really like about these strings is this point. They work on all my guitars. Not true with other brands I've tried.

So a little note on other strings that I really like and have directly compared these to is the Nickel Steels from Dadario which are amazingly good strings but lose their luster quicker and don't sound to me as good as the NYXL's. They are much cheaper per pack but I'd rather spend a few extra dollars and get better to me strings then have a few bucks in my pocket and have strings that wear out faster, don't sound as good and are sharper out of the box then wear into that sound I like for a short time.

If you have not strung up a few of your guitars with these strings, it's worth it to at least check them out and compare them to your current favorite strings. I found my strings.

Comment

I bought a pack for my Carvin 8-string (9-80 balanced string tension) and am looking forward to trying them out soon. $16 is steep for a pack of strings, but hopefully they last awhile and I like the tone.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

think I'm gonna try these out. I've used nanowebs for years but lately I've been breaking them. broke one today about a week after restringing and I'm pretty fed up

Comment

I haven't broke a string in years.

Comment

I suggest joining Guitar Centers string club. You get $5 towards a pair of strings each month. Well worth it.

Comment

I haven't broke a string in years, either. I usually use GHS Boomers or sometimes EB Power Slinky, as well as D'Addario on certain guitars. My G&L gets Fender Bullets since it's got a non-locking trem.
                  Right now I've got a custom set of LaBellas on my 8-string, but I look forward to trying the NYXL out. I was also thinking about the GC string club.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                    think I'm gonna try these out. I've used nanowebs for years but lately I've been breaking them. broke one today about a week after restringing and I'm pretty fed up
                    had them on for two weeks exactly. opinion so far: not worth the $12. yeah, they sound a bit better than the average string. the feel is definitely better than nanowebs, but what uncoated string isn't? they do stay in tune better than anything else I've tried. but the sound is going dead already, as I feared. I guess nothing but coated strings can hold up to my corrosive body juices. yes, I wipe down the strings very carefully all around after playing and sometimes in the middle of playing. I don't like restringing my guitars twice a month, and if I do, I'm sure as shit not going to spend $12 per pack.

Comment

I've always preferred XLs for my FR guitars. So when these came out, I had to give them a try.

I have not been disappointed. I find them to be superior to the XLs in every way. To me, they are well worth the money.

Comment

Working...
                      X