So Cal/San Dimas question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Cal/San Dimas question

I recently got a 2016 MIM so cal. I ordered it from GC without ever seeing it or playing it. I've never acquired a guitar in this manner but I just trusted in the name and I wasn't disappointed. Well I was a little disapointed when I got home and opened it up and there were scratches all over the pick guard. My first instinct was to take it back and bitch about it but then I played it...and I decided not to say nothin about it...not sure what they would have done if I took it back? There's one pretty deep scratch on the bottom of the horn and a ton of smaller scratches underneath where the strings are. Later on I noticed a perfect circle scratched around the volume knob. This perplexed me at first because I thought that I got it that way. To me it was like somebody did it on purpose but then I realized it was from me having my pick in my hand when I use the knob. They scratch up really easily. I believe it was mentioned on here before. I was going to get a white one but at the last minute I impulsively ordered the Rocket Red. It's clearly orange. I really don't like the color at all so the only obvious solution is to buy another one but the problem is I don't really like any of the colors. I like black guitars but dont think the black with black pick guard looks good. So I was thinking if I want a black guitar I might as well just get a San Dimas. So my question is, is the San Dimas the same as the So Cal except for the pick guard? Also I know it has already been said on here but the neck is amazing.
    Last edited by Warren DeVodkanredbull; 09-03-2016, 12:39 AM.

Generally, for Pro-Mods (imports):

San Dimas = rear-routed electronics cavity, Seymour Duncan JB/59 pickups mounted to pickup rings (pre-2016) or mounted directly to the body (2016), jackplate on side of body.

So-Cal = top-mounted electronics cavity (under the pickguard), DiMarzio Tone Zone/Evolution pickups or Seymour Duncan Distortion/Distortion pickups mounted to the pickguard, Strat-style jackplate on surface of body (pre-2016) but moved to side of body for 2016.

2016 models have different coloured hardware too. Some have black hardware while others have something that looks like smoky chrome.

Comment

Are the body shapes and necks the same on the 2016s? I always thought the San Dimas body looked longer than the So Cal but maybe it's just the pick guard that makes it look different. Also I didn't mention that this guitar was new I assumed you all knew but it was new and came from the factory with the scratches on it. I talked to a guy at GC today and he told me if I bring it back they will send it back to them and I assume they would replace the pick guard. I'm not doing that though. You have to hold it up the light to see the smaller scratches.

Comment

The body shapes and necks should be the same. It doesn't make sense from a production and financial perspective to make components of different dimensions.

Curious, did the pickguard come with a plastic protector film on it? Or is the pickguard just "bare"?

Comment

It was bare.

Comment

The scratches look like someone was vigorously strumming it.

Comment

I hope that is the right pic of the scratches. Technology is hard.

Comment

Right under the neck, close to the screw u can see a tiny bit of plastic.

Comment

That looks like a used guitar to me.
                  One thing about the So Cal this year I don't like is the Pick guard or Scratch Plate as some call it. They decided that a shiny Black finish was a good idea. I think it should have been flat back and then those scratches wouldn't be as noticeable.
                  I purchased a brand new 2016 White So Cal which also has the black Shinny Finish like yours and I'm already seeing some of the same kind of scratches like yours. No where near as bad as yours as yours looks like someone abused it.
                  The Plastic by the neck is because they are shipped plastic covered from the factory. You have to remove it yourself when you buy it. I had to removed a few screws to get all the plastic off. So I got to see mine with no scratches as mine was brand new out of the box when I purchased it from Sam Ash Music in Phila PA.
                  I would have returned it if I where you. I also don't buy Guitars or amps site un seen as I have to plug them in and test drive them first.
                  I think you should return it as it seems other then feel and sound your un happy with it. The Black is a Metallic and the white is Snow white and absolutely amazing looking. I don't care for the Pink , Red or Green colors that much. The Slime green is cool but not cool enough to want to own it over the White or the black.
                  Charvel has Cool colors this years but not offered on all models. The Cobalt Satin Blue color is amazing but it's only offered on the San Dimas Hard Tail and it has stupid looking White pick ups with a Rosewood fret board. It should have had Black Pickups with a Maple neck or if they wanted to use the White pickups go with Chrome Hard ware instead of Black. It would have looked much nicer to me anyway.

I'm honestly strongly considering buying a new Pick guard like the flat model offered 2013- 2015 model years but with the tone knob and Blade Switch cutouts exactly like the factory one.
                  I will snap a picture of my scratch plate so you can see what normal wear looks like. Dude the more I look at that plate the angrier I get for you man. At very least I would call Charvel and see if they will send you a new one and put it on yourself. At least you'll start out fresh and make your own scratches.
                  Last edited by mantis; 09-04-2016, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren DeVodkanredbull View Post
                    I recently got a 2016 MIM so cal. I ordered it from GC without ever seeing it or playing it. I've never acquired a guitar in this manner but I just trusted in the name and I wasn't disappointed. Well I was a little disapointed when I got home and opened it up and there were scratches all over the pick guard.
                    Did GC say it was new or used when they were selling it?
                    Did you get a good deal on it or paid top dollar?

If you like the way it plays and the only problem you have with it is the scratches on the pickguard, you could contact them, tell them about the issue, email them the pictures and give them a day or two to respond.

If you're not happy with what they say, ask them to send you a new Charvel pickguard for it.
                    If they're still being azzholes about it, then cancel the purchase with the credit card or paypal until they mellow out. lol

Comment

In the ad I found on my phone it was advertised as new. I showed the ad to the guy at GC and he ordered it using the number that was on the ad. I'm not going to return it. I absolutely love it. The color is actually starting to grow on me lol. I probably won't try to order another one. When I first started playing it all I could think was I need to immediately buy another one of these lol

Comment

Oh...yeah I paid top dollar... $900 not including shipping and the case I got for it.

Comment

Yeah that's new pricing. They list at $869 or something so if you paid close to that it sure as hell better be new.

Comment

At the very least they owe you a new pick guard. There is no way you should accept that on a $900 guitar.

Comment

If paying sight unseen new, I expect brand new out of the box. New that's been on the showroom floor doesn't count. In person you can inspect the floor model and deem its condition acceptable or not, and haggle price if necessary.

Comment

Working...
                              X