No announcement yet.

So Cal/San Dimas question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It came in a Charvel MIM box. Thanks for all the feedback guys. So does anyone want to trade a slightly used Dukes of Hazard Orange So Cal with a few scratches on the pick guard for a Model 6? Just kidding...kinda.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren DeVodkanredbull View Post
      In the ad I found on my phone it was advertised as new. I showed the ad to the guy at GC and he ordered it using the number that was on the ad. I'm not going to return it. I absolutely love it. The color is actually starting to grow on me lol. I probably won't try to order another one. When I first started playing it all I could think was I need to immediately buy another one of these lol
      It's a very common response when you play a Charvel. Especially the 2016 models. Hell I want one of each style and color which is kinda mental but if I had the cash I would own them all. I did buy 2 and almost a 3rd. I got a White Hard Tail first then a White So Cal and now I've been longing for the Tobacco Burst San Dimas Floyd Model.

Comment

As Promised here is some pic's of mu White 2016 So Cal Pick Guard with very light playing scratches. Now mind you it's a few months old and I play it almost every day for about an hour.
        Mine has no where near the amount of playing scratches yours has and compared mine looks brand new and yours looks years old even though the guitar just came out this year. I strongly suggest you call them and get a replacement pick guard. I find it completely bullshit they sold you a guitar that is used for brand new. At least order you a new pick guard and install it for you. It's not even my guitar and I'm pissed off for you. If you lived near me, I would take that thing in and raise hell. I would be walking out with a brand new un played model especially since you paid full retail price. I would even get money off for my troubles.
        Check out my close up pic's.

Comment

Thanks again everyone. As it turns out I'm an idiot. I took the guitar back to bitch about it and there WAS plastic on it. All the "scratches" were on the plastic. I have a 100% scratchless scratch guard. The guy at GC told me that the plastic was put on before the neck was as there was a big piece of plastic under the neck after he peeled off the plastic. He told me how to remove the neck. I was totally terrified about this. I've never taken a guitar apart. I've been playing for 30 years but know almost nothing about guitars. So I take the guitar to my step dad's place cuz he has all those tool things. I start unscrewing the screws and taking the plastic off. Then I'm unscrewing the pickup height adjustment screw and for some reason I pulled the screw out and the spring fell inside the guitar. I didn't know there was a spring in there. So we had to take the whole guitar apart. It was a very traumatizing experience. But we got it all put back together. Only thing is the pickup height isn't exactly like it was. I got home and plugged it in on a clean channel just to see how it sounded and noticed the neck pickup was louder than the bridge. I had the neck pickup higher but I adjusted it. Does anybody have any good advice on how to adjust the pickup height? My very rudiment understanding is the closer to the strings the more distorted it sounds. Is this correct? Sorry for being such an idiot but you guys have helped immensely. If it wasn't for you guys I'd still be playing my guitar with the plastic on it and all those ugly scratches because I wouldn't have taken it back. I only took it back because you all "peer pressured" me to and I don't even know you guys lol It's so weird but I'm glad I listened and glad there was nothing wrong with my guitar. I'm ready to order another one now.

Comment

Press down on the last fret and measure the distance from the bottom of the string to the pickup pole. Start at 1/16" for 1st string, 1/8" for 6th. From there simply adjust to your preference.

Comment

Glad to hear there was a "pickguard's pickguard" on there, now peeled away!

To me, pickup heights are personal/subjective in setting. You just adjust heights until you're satisfied. There will be a sweet spot for you that is personal and subjective.

The higher the height, the more signal you'll get, but the magnet will be closer to the strings which may cause string pull, affecting sustain and can make you sound slightly out of tune.

The lower the height, the less signal you'll get, but the magnet will have less string pull effect.

As an exception, some manufacturers recommend their pickups to be as close to the strings as possible. EMG comes to mind. I believe APC (Adder Plus Corporation) also recommends this, and my APCs are quite close to the strings on my Soloist.

Now you won't fear taking apart a bolt-on guitar. I've been a guitar owner for 15 years but never took one apart until 2016. Now I do it to all bolt-ons I buy, for easier maintenance/cleaning, to record the neck pocket/heel stamps, and for possible truss rod adjustments if the truss rod nut is at the heel.
              Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 09-11-2016, 10:45 PM.

Comment

The tone knob had a washer but the volume knob didn't have one. Is that normal? I hope you all don't make me go back and tell them they owe me a washer. Hopefully I never have to take a guitar apart again. I think I can live without the washer. Just wondering what you all thought about it.
                Last edited by Warren DeVodkanredbull; 09-13-2016, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X