Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PRO-MOD SO-CAL, how do these compare to the vintage imports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRO-MOD SO-CAL, how do these compare to the vintage imports?

I'm having a look, for the first time, at the catalog.
    I'd like to try a new one but...how do these compare, build-wise, to the old japanese imports? Where are these built?
    I have no idea so....I'd like some opinions

Thanks!
    Creating a Guitar Telegram Group (in English) Guitar Telegram Group

Honestly to me anyway I find the 2016 models to be the very best offered since the Release of the Japanese models that where really nice. In 2013 they where MIM and still are today. Those models are nice but I find the 2016 better.
    IMO the necks are incredible. Not that the MIJ and the older series MIM are not, it's just this years necks are perfect. I know this is personal but it's how I feel. I own 2 of them I have a White Hard Tail and a White So Cal. They are exceptional especially for the retail asking price. For $849-$899 these guitars are most excellent. I find nothing on the market I'd rather own. I want to buy a San Dimas FloyD Tobacco Burst next then another Hard Tail like the Satin Blue and or Orange. They are stunning and I love how the new Hard Tail feels plays and sounds.
    I'll post a few pics of mine
    Last edited by mantis; 09-06-2016, 10:43 AM.

Comment

I finally got my chance to play the 2016 MIM ProMod SanDimas guitars today.

Very nice, actually they’re great guitars.

The neck had that familiar Charvel feel, just a little more “chunky” feeling necks; not bad or anything wrong, just a little bit thicker that my MIJ’s; yet still a very fast and solid feeling neck.

The switching & tone were kinda cool, I can see how they add more tonal variations, but a simple 3 way toggle is more than enough for me.

All in all, a fine hard rock/metal guitar, I would have bought one myself too, if I didn’t already own five MIJ’s already, but you never know….. the lemon-lime yellow one looked insane!

Comment

You really have to try both. The older model series and such had thinner necks than these. Personally, I like both and still can't wait to get my hands on an MIJ Pro-Mod neck for a project (I found the way they rolled the edges on the MIJ was my favourite).

Comment

Originally posted by G37-R34DY View Post
          Where are these built?
          2008-2010 = America
          2010-2011? = Japan
          2011?-present = Mexico

The end of Japanese production was due to the Chushin Gakki plant closing, either in 2011 or 2012 (hence the question mark above because I'm uncertain). I believe Fender Musical Instruments Corporation couldn't strike a deal with Chushin Gakki, and not because the tsunami destroyed the plant. A shame, because they had made the Model Series and all Japanese imports and it would have been nice to continue having Japanese Jackson/Charvel production to this day.

I'd like some opinions
          I have two Pro-Mod So-Cals (American and Japanese) and two Model 1 variants (both obviously Japanese). My thoughts are below.

1) The Pro-Mods have thicker necks than the Model Series. Both are very comfortable to play. The Model Series were gloss-finished, which I turned into satin finishes with 0000 steel wool. My Pro-Mods have either satin or oiled finishes, but I'm not certain since I immediately steel wooled my American neck/fretboard, and my Japanese one came SANDED by a previous owner and has the most bare/raw feel of all my necks.

2) For certain, the American and Japanese Pro-Mods had quartersawn maple necks. At some point during the current Mexican production era, Pro-Mod necks started to be flatsawn maple with graphite reinforcement rods. Some evidence suggests 2015 was the final year of quartersawn necks on Mexican Pro-Mods. 2016 seemed to be a big year for Charvel Pro-Mod changes, including flatsawing, introducing the Six Pack of Sound electronics suite, putting a truss rod adjustment wheel at the heel, and moving the volume knob further away from the bridge pickup. Correct me if I am wrong.

3) Model Series had rock maple necks. My guess is these are flatsawn rock maple, but the catalogs will never say it. If they were quartersawn, they WILL say it, because that's a "selling point".

4) Mantis is probably the JCF's biggest fan of Mexican Pro-Mods, having one from 2013 and one from 2016 so he's a good authority on the differences between pre-2016 and post-2016 models. Me on the other hand, I've never played a Mexican one.

5) As a buyer of used guitars, the Model Series are probably the best value, if you don't mind the majority of them having rosewood fretboards. You'll find nobody who hates the Model Series.

6) The second best value is probably the Japanese Pro-Mods, which arguably matched the American ones in quality and were the only Pro-Mods to come with an original hardshell case from SKB. The American ones came with a gigbag and I don't think any of the Mexican ones came with anything (Mantis, correct me if I am wrong).

Comment

Given the difference in price on the used market, I suppose 'll just keep collecting Models and *75s. I really hate the idea of the truss rod adjustment under the neck pocket, si I think that this rules out anything but the latest mexican builds. Or is it possible to find one with a quartersawn maple neck and a wheel for the truss rod adjustment?

Comment

Given the difference in price on the used market, I suppose 'll just keep collecting Models and *75s. I really hate the idea of the truss rod adjustment under the neck pocket, si I think that this rules out anything but the latest mexican builds. Or is it possible to find one with a quartersawn maple neck and a wheel for the truss rod adjustment?
              You can have a heal adjusted truss rod changed to a pinwheel fairly easily, may just need to cut out a bit of the FB

Comment

I also thought it would be annoying to own a guitar with the truss rod adjustment at the heel. To minimize the effects of climate affecting my guitars (including truss rod), I found it to be helpful to keep my guitars in their cases when they're not being played. Usually once I choose a string gauge/brand and perform a proper setup, I never need to adjust truss rods again. Because I never need to remove the neck again, this allowed me the freedom to buy guitars with the truss rod adjustment at the heel.

The wheel can be added as an aftermarket modification. The following quote comes from this topic: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/149...=1#post1644083

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                All Pro Mods have had the truss rod nut at the heel. I've got a few US made ones and had the neck and body modified for the wheel. It's a cheap mod ($5 part roughly $80 labor) and well worth it.
                It appears Matt_B paid a tech to carve out the fretboard at the heel and install a wheel.

Comment

I've played MIJ Pro Mods, but not owned them. I owned two USA Pro Mods and when I bought my 2014 MIM Pro Mod So Cal I had a USA Pro Mod SD1 as well. When I had to sell one, I felt comfortable selling the USA one, both were great and at the time I think I preferred the Specific Ocean finish with black hardware to my white SD1 with chrome hardware. Given the chance, I would have kept both. I think the MIA and MIJ Pro Mods are excellent, but the MIMs are right up there, at least all the ones I have played. The neck on my MIM and MIA are the same carve. I hear the 2016s have a thinner neck though, but haven't played one yet.
                  I have considered trying to sell mine to get one with the neck wheel, but getting the modification might be worth it in the end. I don't have a problem taking the neck off and the adjustments are easy enough, but if I didn't have to take it off I would certainly prefer that.
                  I don't know what it is about Charvel, they're some of my favorite guitars to play, the necks just feel like the guitar equivalent of comfort food, but the slightest adjustment in the truss rod can bring about exponentially greater results than any other guitar I've ever owned. Kind of fun in a way because I make that adjustment and its like falling in love again with something you've loved and played all along, but the truss wheel is certainly a great option.

Comment

I decided to give these a try. Thanks for all the info. So I got myself a wildcard #8 to try these out. The guitar is new and the deal is good so...why not?

Comment

Working...
                    X