No announcement yet.

Is this a "real" '86 Charvel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The neck plate is correct for an 86, the body is questionable at best.
    Since it was a refinish, it could be a legit 1A body, but altered during refinishing.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by wmachine View Post
      I believe you, but how are the holes wrong?
      The holes should be a bit closer to the edge of the heel... Looking at it on my phone, so it might just be a distortion.
      It's also missing the plastic gasket that goes under the plate. That could make it look off as well.
      -Rick

Comment

Here's a 1A.

-Rick

Comment

Okay. But all the indicators show this should be a 3A, not a 1A. (Except it is still the wrong trem for a 3A too.)
          Last edited by wmachine; 09-08-2016, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Okay. But all the indicators show this should be a 3A, not a 1A.
            Nope... a 3A came with a Floyd Rose type bridge. (Kahler on the 86 and JT-6 on the 87-88)
            Anyone can change a pickguard and it's pickup config.
            -Rick

Comment

This is what an 86 Model 3A bridge looks like.

CIMG0438.jpg
              -Rick

Comment

Okay. But all the indicators show this should be a 3A, not a 1A.
                Why are you holding on to this? ITS NOT A 3A ! Not even close. Seriously...your coming on here asking then saying they are wrong.

-Neck cannot be from a 3a, no locking nut nor was there ever one on there (different tuners too)
                -Body never had a 2 point trem on it (although I suppose this would be covered up by the refin) I have doubts it is a charvel body. The neck plate being the big giveaway, but some of those contours look off as well

The only thing this resembles a 3a is the pickguard and pickup configuration...

With that said, for the price I would have grabbed it for the neck alone.

Comment

Would you agree that the pickguard and pot locations are wrong too?

Comment

Would you agree that the pickguard and pot locations are wrong too?
                    Yep... neck PU is too far from the neck. Tone pot is too low, vol knob is not centered under the bridge pickup.
                    About the only thing in the correct spot is the bridge pickup and the selector.
                    Again... it's all moot as the pickguard itself is not original.
                    -Rick

Comment

With all that said, I'm glad I passed. Yes, I may have missed something like a valuable neck, but with some things wrong, I didn't know what parts of the partscaster may or may not be of any value. I'd like to get a Charvel, but I don't want to build one.
                      Thanks for the help and the education.

Comment

Working...
                      X