NGD - Charvel Refinement - Tuning issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - Charvel Refinement - Tuning issues

And I named her Goldie. It's very difficult to get the color in the pics, it's actually some sort of gold. I post below the imgur album with the pics.
    The guitar was in overall good shape, I imported it from Japan and it's probably the first Refinement to come to Italy.

It's a cool little guitar! It looks like a toy but It's a killer axe. It's small and light and looks great. As it arrived I was disappointed. The setup was terrible, to the limit of being unplayable. I took some time to fix the neck and bridge height; I still need to set the intonation properly but now it's working allright. very very fast neck, kind of unexpected on an LP styled body.
    I read everywhere that the pickups are crappy, but they are not that bad actually. I will probably switch to an SD set SH1B+SH1N. Also the pickup switch is broken (it works but the shaft is broken) so I will change it (any advice?).

The big issue I have is that it does not hold tuning and it's strange since it's a fixed bridge. The G string won't stay in tune for more that 5 minutes while playing, then it goes flat. other strings go flat as well. I lubed the nut with a pencil as I always did, but I had no luck. Any idea?

http://imgur.com/a/Am0SJ
    Creating a Guitar Telegram Group (in English) Guitar Telegram Group

a few days later...the tuning issue is solved (by itself...), neck is straight as an arrow and this little guitar is sweeeet

Comment

Strings might have been poorly stretched?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
        Strings might have been poorly stretched?
        That's what I'm thinking; new strings that weren't stretched enough and finally settled in.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I don't know, it never happened on any other guitar, I did what I do since 20 years: stretch, tune up and then down to the spot. Also, same strings as all my other guitars since...ever (Ernie Ball 10s). I'm not used to non-locking nuts so I thought I might have, for example, rolled the strings on the gears badly, but it didn't look like it. It didn't pinch or anything. Maybe (but it looks like a long shot) since I adjusted the truss rod a few times, the neck moved a bit over the days and affected the tuning, and now it's stable it's fine. I don't know. Or maybe this particular set of strings needed more stretching than I usually do. I'd say anything's possible .

Comment

Working...
          X