Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But earlier you said:

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
    Find any Humbucker/Single Tele wiring diagram and drop the tone knob from it.
    Same basic wiring.
    And now here are 2 different wiring diagrams that do not have the same wiring. Why does your volume pot only have 3 connections and mine has 9? Why do the pickups connect at different places on the 3 way switch?
    Last edited by Jicafold; 10-25-2016, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Your guitar doesn't have the original factory pots or wiring.
      Those only work with EMG pickups.
      If you plan on keeping them, you'll need to hit up an EMG wiring diagram.

If you want to go back to stock, get a humbucker and single coil, a CRL 3 way switch, and a 500k CTS pot.
      Wire it up minus the tone pot and you'll be set.
      -Rick

Comment

I got rid of the EMG and tone pot that was on it. I now have a single coil pickup, a humbucker (both Jackson), a 3 way switch, and the (apparently) original push/pull volume. So that is why I am asking the question now...why is the wiring diagram I just posted and the one you posted with the same components not the same? But I figured that out. Your diagram did not show a push/pull volume. I don't know for sure though that a push/pull volume was original or not. Do I still need that capacitor if I remove the tone pot?
        Last edited by Jicafold; 10-26-2016, 07:53 AM.

Comment

The push/pull volume pot is for an EMG... won't work for this setup.
          It's rated at 25k and you need at least a 250k pot... 500k is what shipped on these.
          Toss it.

As for the cap... not needed. Only used if a tone pot is present.
          -Rick

Comment

Excellent. Thanks rjohnstone. Love this forum.

Comment

So the wiring from your humbucker in the diagram shown below shows a white, red and ground. My humbucker has a white, red, black, green, and bare wire. So which is the ground? The black or the bare wire? What do I do with the green and other leftovers? Nothing?

Comment

That is going to depend on who made the pickup.
                -Rick

Comment

It is a Jackson pickup. A J-50BC. Thanks for the chart. So where do I put them?
                  Last edited by Jicafold; 11-03-2016, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Pair the green and white together and then solder the Red to the hot side (three way switch) and black to ground.
                    -Rick

Comment

Pair the green and white together and then solder the Red to the hot side (three way switch) and black to ground.
                      I don't think that is right. Looks like it might be green to hot, red and white to nothing, and bare and black to ground.

But what is the "hot side" anyways?

Comment

The "hot side" is always the starting lead of the north side of the humbucker.
                        If you use the south side starting lead in a guitar with other pickups installed, it could make the pickups be out of phase with each other.
                        Trust me, you'll know right away of you got the wiring wrong.
                        The pickup will sound like you're playing in a tin can.
                        -Rick

Comment

Well, that advice wasn't right, but I figured it out. It is green and bare wire to ground. Red and white soldered together. And black to the hot side.

And that 3 way switch wiring turned out to be different too....like the diagram below. But hey...it works now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jicafold View Post
                            Well, that advice wasn't right, but I figured it out. It is green and bare wire to ground. Red and white soldered together. And black to the hot side.

And that 3 way switch wiring turned out to be different too....like the diagram below. But hey...it works now.

My bad... must have been looking at the Gibson wiring.
                            Sounds like you're dropping in a Seymour Duncan or later model Jackson pickup (my J90C uses this wiring setup).
                            According to the Jackson diagram above, green is the hot lead, black is ground.
                            Anyway... always fun to chase those down.
                            -Rick

Comment

Yes, it was both challenging and fun figuring it out. Thank you for your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X