Model 4 resotoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 4 resotoration

So years ago I had reason to purchase a Model 4 from a now sadly gone pawn shop near where I work and I pulled it apart to give the neck and plate to a friend and wound up selling the trem and electronics to help defray the cost.

The other day I saw a pretty cool looking neck on Ebay and thought to myself, I've got a neck plate again, and I have a cool set of Ultrasonic pickups that were in a Model 6 (that's still under going the longest restore in history, long story) and of course I have a couple of Floyd specials lying around from Pro Mods that got upgraded.

Unbelievably there was no other action on this neck and I thought I saw something else cool about it but could not be sure. The seller stated that he had been told it was not a Model 4 neck, but other than that I don't know what it could be.

Oh, heck, here's the auction: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CHARVEL-N...vip=true&rt=nc

So I got the neck and it's pretty great, just needs the screws for the tuners changed out, and it does have that very cool feature I thought it might, but had never seen before on a neck from this era. A proper Floyd nut.

Now, my friend has a Model 6 with a "Floyd like" Kahler nut, and JT6, but this is a normal Floyd nut, very cool!

Now, what I currently have is this neck and a body with the cavity covers. Using the Ultrasonics I want to put in something like the EMG SPC boost, sort of like the OG electronics.

Looking at Frets on the net I will probably get upgraded cavity covers with new screws, the pickup ring and the pickup selector switches and probably the neck plate screws and a few other screws.

Is there anywhere I can get new or upgraded trem mount studs? I know it's possible to fully replace them with ones from Schaller but if I can screw something else in that's new that would be cool.

Lastly, it's the dark plum colour but I am thinking of refinishing it. Red is my fave but I "might" do it in an aqua type metallic to entice my daughter to learn, but if not, I'll have another cool guitar in my collection, ha ha!!!

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing it all come together.

Comment

Hey, Vic! Welcome back. Sounds cool. Would love to see it finished.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks guys, and Hi Joe!! I wanted to keep this off Facebook, ha ha.

Anybody got any ideas on the EMG SPC? I'm thinking it's the closest thing to what they put in the Model 4 originally.

Also, a line on trem studs would be cool. It doesn't look like even Dave does those things.....

Comment

I thought Frets On The Net had trem posts too, like adapter ones to use the holes from a JT-6 to mount an OFR or Schaller. Been a long time since I looked though
          Hail yesterday

Comment

That's what I'm after Gary, that would be great, but I looked and looked, couldn't find them. I'll check again and do some Googling.....

Comment

Hmmm, looks like I'll be using the studs still on the body, thank goodness I kept those, it's all that's left!

Comment

Well, after not seeing a first series Japanese Charvel with a Floyd nut I've found two others, both blue crackles. The 3R looks amazing!

I want that 3R neck!

So it seems the neck I have may have come from a guitar like the 3DR in the second link. The site that was selling these had a few Japan only variants, and lots of things obviously went down at those factories back in the day.

Comment

Holy effin Moly that is SWEEEEEET. Any morei nfo on these variants?

Comment

Originally posted by Genebaby View Post
                    Thanks guys, and Hi Joe!! I wanted to keep this off Facebook, ha ha.
                    Haha! Don't blame ya. Bunch of savages over there.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      Haha! Don't blame ya. Bunch of savages over there.
                      Ha ha, it's not that, it just keeps it out of everyone else's attention. As far as certain people know, I've always had this neck, and am just putting the guitar back together now.....

If I get time this weekend I'm going to drop off the body for prep work and choose the colour we are going to go for.

Comment

Wow, never seen a Charvel Model Series neck with a Floyd locknut shelf before. Looks like it came from the factory this way too.

That blue crackle 3R looks amazing! Is that an ebony fretboard?

Comment

Yes, a factory Floyd nut install is very cool, I think this was meant to be!

It does look like ebony but it seems that 3R has a rosewood board, and it does look amazing!

Comment

Factory Floyd nuts on guitar logo pointies were proper for post-89 Japanese market guitars.
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Thanks Mike, if I ever knew that before I have forgotten it, along with lots of other stuff, ha ha.

Speaking of forgetting, there is so much stuff I have I can't remember so when I went looking for the Ultrasonic pickups I was surprised to find some mini toggles, and pots and wires and stuff!!

At first I was thinking about the old Model 4 gear, then I realised this was pulled from the Model 6 and I kept it all!

Strangely, there are only two pots, but three regular mini toggles and a fourth one with a board attached and there is no sign of the usual circuit board from Model 4 and 6 guitars.

I can't remember the Model 6 having been modified with a toggle in place of a pot, I literally tore it down the day I got it. I might have taken one photo of it in it's complete state beforehand but I haven't found it yet.

I took a couple of pics, anybody recognise or have any idea what the board is attached to that toggle? It has a small pot on the other side of it.

For a second there I was thinking of using the original electronics, but if something is not right then I will at least be using those mini toggles again and maybe the pots, in conjunction with the SPC setup from EMG.

I also found a spare FOTN/Budman pickup ring that I must have got a spare one last time I ordered, so the Ultrasonic humbucker is nicely encased in that baby already.

Rediscovered my EMG 89 along with an EMG single and I think I found the J95 from my Model 88.

Comment

Working...
                              X