Neck flex/ bendy neck on MIJ San Dimas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck flex/ bendy neck on MIJ San Dimas

NGD. Polar White San Dimas MIJ. I have been looking for this exact model for almost a year.
    I was as happy as a little boy on christmas when it finally arrived...at first.

I set it up the way I prefer it, decking the Floyd and completely blocking it ->I don't use it, I just like the feel and tuning stability of a Floyd-equipped guitar.
    Neck relief, action...the works.

It plays and sounds awesome, but after a while I noticed that the neck seems to flex/bend very easily.
    I'm not very heavy handed, but I have the tendency to inadvertently pull the neck back ever so slightly at times.
    This guitar doesn't like that AT ALL, and the change in pitch drives me crazy.
    Setting the Floyd up as a floating unit lessens the effect to some degree, but it is still very noticable and irritating.

Just as an example, I have a cheapo Kramer Baretta Special that I modded heavily, yet it still has the original
    vintage-style trem (also decked and blocked) and its neck (plain sawn maple with rosewood board) is rock solid.
    Sure, it flexes a little but nowhere near as noticable as the Charvel neck. I was shocked at the difference, tbh.
    My Model 4 (again, plain sawn maple and rosewood board) kinda sits in the middle. It flexes more then the Kramer
    but still not enough to be really irritating while playing.

Right now, the San Dimas is strung with 9s as I'm out of my preferred 10s, but once those arrive, I'll put them on
    and see if this gives me some more room to tighten the truss-rod just a little more, which might help.

This is my first one piece maple neck, so I can only compare it to maple/rosewood necks,
    but is this the nature of the beast, even though it's quartersawn ? Is it a dud ? Maybe sth. else I could check ?

I'm kinda bummed out at the moment and contemplating selling it off, right away.
    Last edited by Meista; 11-16-2016, 09:47 AM.

Make sure the neck screws are tight. I've seen wonkiness when the neck slides around in the neck pocket.

Comment

I've never experienced an issue like that with an all maple neck before.

Comment

i just realized i have the same problem with the neck on my strat, its all maple with a single skunkstripe. I have no clue what it is.
        Guitars:
        Jackson Kevin Bond RR Green
        Jackson Kevin Bond RR Red
        Grover Jackson Dan Spitz RR
        Epi Thunderhorse Explorer

Amps:
        Modded Jet City 100HDM
        custom 4x12

"Moran!"-augistin01(maker of B.C. Rich Deathangels and Defiler of one poor RR1)

Comment

The neck screws are tight and the neck doesn't slide.

Going from 9s to 10s (while staying in Eb) introduced quite a bow to the neck and the truss-rod needed an adjustment.
          While that's to be expected, I still haven't seen a neck bow so severely after changing gauges.

Maybe I'm just overthinking things and I'll get used to it after a while.
          Last edited by Meista; 11-17-2016, 04:11 PM.

Comment

I bet the added tension on the neck once adjusted for 10's will be more in line with what you're used to.

Comment

That neck sounds like a turd. I'd dump it.

I have a MIJ in polar white, but I build from parts starting with a flamed maple neck. It cost me $766 without the case, so I don't recommend this. But I did a few upgrades like an OFR and big trem block. Sounds and plays great.

Comment

Working...
              X